heat wave dead or alive

Help Support Steer Planet:

justintime

I really hope he is dead. I saw him 3 years ago at Hawkeye and I do not think anything I have seen in my entire lifetime in the cattle business has disturbed me that much. I have no idea how many times I have wondered if he was allowed to die, and to finally be rid of the pain. Quite frankly, I must say that I left there really disturbed about this, and I certainly am not a do gooder, or a person who puts human terms on animals. When I saw him, I was really concerned that if the animal rights people were to hear about him, and get in there and take some video, the beef industry could take a very nasty hit with the bad publicity it would receive. If I was affected this much, I can just imagine how it would be perceived by the uneducated urban audience. In my opinion, this was true animal abuse in the name of milking a few more dollars from him. If multi- million dollar race horses can be put out of their misery because a broken bone, I fail to see why the same is not true with a clubby bull... especially when he has more clones than Obama has supporters.

I agree with Cowboy... If I ever get in that shape, I will gladly give someone permission to shoot me. I hope we can truthfully say... May he rest in peace!

cotullaguy

justintime said:
I really hope he is dead. I saw him 3 years ago at Hawkeye and I do not think anything I have seen in my entire lifetime in the cattle business has disturbed me that much. I have no idea how many times I have wondered if he was allowed to die, and to finally be rid of the pain. Quite frankly, I must say that I left there really disturbed about this, and I certainly am not a do gooder, or a person who puts human terms on animals. When I saw him, I was really concerned that if the animal rights people were to hear about him, and get in there and take some video, the beef industry could take a very nasty hit with the bad publicity it would receive. If I was affected this much, I can just imagine how it would be perceived by the uneducated urban audience. In my opinion, this was true animal abuse in the name of milking a few more dollars from him. If multi- million dollar race horses can be put out of their misery because a broken bone, I fail to see why the same is not true with a clubby bull... especially when he has more clones than Obama has supporters.

I agree with Cowboy... If I ever get in that shape, I will gladly give someone permission to shoot me. I hope we can truthfully say... May he rest in peace!

it appears the clones have not worked as well as the original for some reason???  there may also be reasons why semen prior to clones has been so expensive on the original heat wave.

Dyer Show cattle

carl s. said:
Dyer Show cattle, have you tried going where they were actually attempting collect him instead?

I was at Hawkeye where they collect, most of the lautner bulls are always there or in the pasture right beside the barn. And even when heatwave has been there at pasture there was always a heatwave pen. Same with Who Made Who, and his sign was gone as well.  I didnt ask anyone where they were because just figured and hoped both of them were finally out of thier misery. Dead bull walking for the past five years is right. If the actual heatwave was in great lakes last year that is a shame, he should have never been transported that far. That bull has done plenty and the only ride he should take is to the locker, maybe just a leather factory. That meat has to be as tough as leather anyways. I am also no activist by far but I felt the same as justintime. Hope Peta never starts going around to these collection sites nothing good will come of it. Instead of the sarah mcgloughin Animal cruelty commercials with half dead dogs and cats, she is going to be standing next to heatwave and who made who watching them limp around a pen.

trademark

why don't you bring your bull out so we can hide behind a computer screen and analyze him

justintime

Trademark, I have no problem with anyone making money from their cattle, and I have no problem with them trying to keep an important animal that is injured, in comfort, so they can realize a little more income.... but what I saw with Heatwave, was beyond even the smallest fraction of dignity and decency that any living creature... man or beast, should have to endure. Like I said, I have spend my entire lifetime in the cattle business and I think I have experienced enough things to toughen my attitude as well as my skin considerably. I left Hawkeye Breeders visibly shaken, and it  is still with me today. It bothers me even more that 3 years after I saw this legendary bull in such pain, that we are discussing whether he is alive or dead.

We discuss people's cattle, and honestly appraise them on SP on a daily basis. This discussion is nothing different. People discuss the good and the bad of any animal as well as a pile of other topics.

Dyer Show cattle

Hey heatwave pics look great to me, i can take all the pics you want of my bulls. But you can come look at every one of my calves and cows anytime and take a look. I will pay your way to and from if you see anything that is in poor shape. Otherwise you pay the bill.

chambero

I'm the designated "put them down" person in my family and even though I hate it, we never hesitate to do so on an animal that is suffering.

Of course it is all in the name of money, but I do know that Lautners were bringing in one of the best vets in Texas to try to help Heatwave be more comfortable about three years ago. 

I've never seen the bull - just photos on there.  But one honest question - if Heatwave is really in as much pain as he looks like he's in, would he still be able to produce quality semen?  I've bought semen that was frozen three years ago and we had outstanding conception.

My other thought is if I had an animal that truly generated the amount of profit that he does, would I really be able to put him down?  I like to think I would do the right thing, but I suspect it's much easier to say you'd shoot a $500K to $1 million/year income source in the head than to actually do it.

justintime

Chambero, I have had the same thoughts and I have wondered what I would do in the same situation. I hope I would do the right thing, but it is hard to know for sure until you experience it. I have thought about that a lot.  I was told that despite the pain HW was in, that they were still collecting good semen from him when I saw him, mind you they did say at that moment in time, his semen volumes had dropped, which is quite understandable.

If everything was being done to ease his pain and to make him comfortable, I would have have no major issues. I thought I had maybe seen him on a very bad day, but I have spoken with a few people who saw him over a sizable period of time, and their reports were similar to what I saw. I have seen a large number of sick, injured and dying animals in my life, but the moaning, groaning and agony this bull was in, really disturbed me.

SWMO

Kinda like hearing a cow in pain that is grinding her teeth.  It is not a sound or sight that a person forgets.

justintime said:
If everything was being done to ease his pain and to make him comfortable, I would have have no major issues. I thought I had maybe seen him on a very bad day, but I have spoken with a few people who saw him over a sizable period of time, and their reports were similar to what I saw. I have seen a large number of sick, injured and dying animals in my life, but the moaning, groaning and agony this bull was in, really disturbed me.

forbes family farms

May heatwave rest in peace i have seen pics of him over the past 3 years and i about cried he should of been put down just like any other animal that gets in bad health. He made his life by raising some of the best show calves in the country.  (angel)  (angel)  (angel)

Show Heifer

zach said:
Who is 6 feet under carl s.

I'm sure Lautner will announce the death of Heatwave

Or, they could keep it quiet, keep selling "heatwave or clone" semen for as much as they can get out of it. That way, their endless supply is still endless on the "king"....

But, I do agree, he was kept alive (if dead) for far too long.  Last time I saw him he couldn't stand for more than 30 sec, looked awful, and they were working on his rear legs.  Thank goodness peta didn't see him....

frostback

We have had original Heatwave semen and last year we bought some on #6 and then they sent us #5. It has the clone number on the cane and right on the straws themselves. They may just not want to put each clone number on all the winners they advertise. That way people cant say I heard it was # 5 not # 6 and blah blah blah. 

WFCC

they put heat wave or clone and not specify so that they can sell more semen.  People will be more willing to try a clone when it says "ALL CHAMPIONS WERE HEAT WAVE OR CLONE".

cattleman25

maybe they put heatwave or clone to keep themselves out of trouble from false advertising. how times does it happen that a calf might be out of a clone but when he is sold becomes out of orginal heatwave. they have no way of knowing forsure what bull he is out of. i think they are doing the right thing by saying a calf is out of heat wave or a clone.

proxyspook

cattleman25 said:
maybe they put heatwave or clone to keep themselves out of trouble from false advertising. how times does it happen that a calf might be out of a clone but when he is sold becomes out of orginal heatwave. they have no way of knowing forsure what bull he is out of. i think they are doing the right thing by saying a calf is out of heat wave or a clone.

Afraid of false advertising.... are you serious? They still advertise HW as having a 92lb BW when everyone knows he was more like a 120lb C-Section. Besides that look at thier pictures - could it be any more obvious how fake they are - Compare the HW clones year after year starting with the origional HW picture. It's a joke..... but maybe people are that stupid.

trevorgreycattleco

All I have to say is if the greatest show cattle sire of all time lived a life like you all say and couldn't walk from the feeder to the water then I wonder why people even breed show cattle. How far off base have you gotten when animals that are your avatar end up like this. Makes me laugh when the ad says sound as can be and moves like a cat. BLAH BLAH BLAH makes me glad I am sticking with the real world cattle. IMO you can trust steer jockeys about as much as a used car salesman or a lawyer. RIP Heatwave. I still say 20 years from now he will be like clear Pepsi or outsourcing jobs to China. Very unpopular.

vet tech

cattleman25 said:
i agree