Heat Wave Heifer

Help Support Steer Planet:

Jill

We will never keep another one!  We have tried to calve out 3 of them, they have all been either hard pulls or c-sections and none have had any milk, they look great up until the time they calve and it is really tempting to keep that great looking heifer, but like I said, we will continue to use him but won't ever keep another one for a cow.

Cowboy

I absolutely agree with Jill -- nice looking hfrs, even better as a bred -- GET READY TO PULL -- mine is coming third calf in a week. First calf -- HARD pull from an Angus bull -- 115 pounds. Second calf -- backwards hfr -- DOA -- 110 pounds. Just couldn't bring myself to sell her -- from my best Foreplay.

Time is now up -- she is bred to Star Power -- due in a week -- looks like a small whale. She's outta here if this one doesn't do fantasticly well!

No Pelvic area, mine has decent milk -- great attiude -- but that don't pay the bills -- nuf said!

Best of luck with yours -- you'll need it!

Terry

Cowboy Up

Jill, We kind of have the same problem. We bought one as a market heifer this summer. Now she is blooming and we really like her, but we can't get passed the Heat Wave part  :-\ She is a great heifer, just pretty small framed which just adds to the problem. Good luck with what ever you decide.

VJ

When I first got into this business about 7 yrs ago wasn't everybody saying the same thing about Who Made Who females. Everyone said they were crippled, didn't milk, wouldn't grow, etc. Now they are like the "gold standard" for clubby cows.

Jill

Not exactly comparing apples to apples, Who is a calving ease bull and whether they milk or not they will generally live through calving.  Heat Waves are a nightmare to calve out and they don't do you much good to keep a dead heifer, to each his own, this has just been our experience.  Like I said, we breed for steers and will continue to use him, just won't be keep any more heifers for production.

jbw

I have used HW since his sophmore year and have yet to pull a calf out of him!  I also have seen the milking ability of them, Its not great by any stretch of the imagination. I feel the biggest problem of calving the daughters is the lack of pelvic room, IMO. I also have only kept 1 daughter myself and she does a average job, but she is out of a heavy milking Stockman 365.

red

We've had good luck w/ our Cherry Bomb (HeatWave son) heifers & calving. MLK32 just had one out of hers & she said it was up bouncing.
PS- they've also been clean
Red

CAB

If we're looking @ a catalog and there are direct HW daughters listed, they are automatically disqualified as an option. I hold my breath if we keep a daughter that HW is the grandsire of. Not saying that there aren't any good HW mommas, but the odds are WAY against it IMO. Brent

OH Breeder

What surprises me is Taz being in Heat Wave's heritage would have brought more maternal abilities to his offspring.