Heatwave still king, wins another major N.A.I.L.E 2012

Help Support Steer Planet:

jason

SWMO said:
I believe that we still adhere to the  "innocent until proven guilty".  I think that it is a shame that this is leaked before there has been any ruling from either Ark Sar Ben or NAILE.  I also think that whom ever provided this protest with Junior Exhibitors names attached to the general public should be ashamed of themselves.

I am holding off on any opinion until there is an official comment from the two shows in question.  Talk about a defamination of character lawsuit if this turns out to be just blowing smoke.

I agree with you, the information age has pushed society to make instant decisions.  I can't control that.

I tried to overstate when I posted the document that these are just allegations and I can't speak for the validity.  I also omitted the names.

However, it is a fact that there is a protest.  I know an advantageous person could find easily start connecting pieces together, but I will respectfully ask no names are posted, as well as any conjecture.   Everyone will just need to wait for things to shake out.

If anyone ever feels information is being maliciously put out there, please contact me, that is not the intent of this site.  Click the contact us on the top menu bar.

Pleasant Grove Farms

It would seem like it is so simple and easy to prove what is going on.
AK-SAR-BEN has noseprints and/or DNA on file of every steer that showed
there....
so how exceedingly simple it will be to prove or disprove this allegation.
The noseprint/DNA from AK-SAR-BEN is obtained and compared to the animal
in question; somehow it seems that this case will be solved beyond the shadow
of a doubt in very short order.

The fallout that occurs after it is solved will be something to watch; whatever
way it happens to go.

KSanburg

Has there been any ruling or will we have to wait months for DNA tests to provide the asnwers? I imagine that the nose print would or could be faster than DNA results, how long does it take to get DNA back under perfect conditions? I guess it has happened before so there isn't anything earth shattering about someone trying to bend the rules, if it comes out that the rules were actually bent.

RidinHeifer

DNA testing on horses for registrations doesn't take long at all, normally just a couple days after the lab receives it.  I wouldn't think this type of deal would take much longer

J2F

Mtnman said:
Has there been any ruling or will we have to wait months for DNA tests to provide the asnwers? I imagine that the nose print would or could be faster than DNA results, how long does it take to get DNA back under perfect conditions? I guess it has happened before so there isn't anything earth shattering about someone trying to bend the rules, if it comes out that the rules were actually bent.

I would have to think it will be resolved quickly as possible. I would think there is a huge black cloud floating above this steer that NAILE executives would want to resolve before the sale of champions and i am sure this is why the  protest was leaked to outlets to encourage a quick response. JMO.

TxAdmin

Administrator
Staff member
Someone keep up in the know tomorrow,  I know we should have plenty of sp members on the ground.

GONEWEST

Hard to believe no one knows anything about this today.
If the accusations about this prove to be false..................all I can say to the people who passed out this info complete with names is........................gird your loins and get a helmet...................it's gonna be really bad.

obie105

Just saw on facebook that the steer sold in the sale of champions today. So it must have been cleared. Sold for $21,000

twistedhshowstock

Just because he sold doesnt necessarily mean it was cleared.  The sale of champions has to go on as scheduled, they cant reschedule or postpone.  They cant withhold the steer due to controversy then stick him in at a later date if he is cleared because then it is to late. I have seen many shows where there were controversy and the animal still got the sale.  What they did was withhold the sale money until everything was cleared.
We have to remember that the officials/committee at the NAILE are in the middle of running one of the biggest livestock shows in the world right now, it may take a week or two before they are able to sit down and look at the facts on a case like this because their first priority right now is going to be making sure the rest of the NAILE goes off without incident, sorting our disputes such as this falls farther down the priority list.
As far as the releases with names go, maybe I missed something but I only ever saw the copies posted here and at cattle.com which had names blacked out. But if it did get leaked with names I would say the original source would be whoever filed the protest.

obie105

I got to thinking about the name thing its not like we don't know who showed the champion steer.

MX7

Correct me if I'm wrong. A few years back. A red steer that was shown @ the Iowa State Fair & Aksarben ended up in Ohio. The steer ended up grand or reserve @ NAILE. Everyone knew about it & nothing happened. You should be in the sheep area @ NAILE. It will blow your mind what goes on out in the open.

RidinHeifer

I haven't shown sheep @ Louisville, but they are working on the problems.  This year they implemented a rule saying a vet or other professional would be in the make up area inspecting lambs and that there would be random drug testing...don't know if it happened, but frankly give any market animals show no rules regarding drugs and forget about a positive image

twistedhshowstock

The thing is everyone can know, but if an official protest isnt filed then the show management is most likely going to just view it as speculation and move on without taking action.  I mean if they launched an investigation into every acusation that was thrown around at the show then they would spend their entire year investigating things.  The way I see it is whoever filed this protest most likely didnt just find out after the steer won, they most likely knew before the steers left for Louisville if in fact this steer was not elligible.  It happens all the time and people kknow about it, not saying that I approve or that its right, but it is the truth.  The fact is that this didnt become an issue until the steer in question won the show.  I dont know who filed the protest, but I am going out on a limb in my mind and speculating that this is a case of someone being unhappy that they didnt win or get credit for the win or something like that.  Either way it seems like somebody got their panties in a knot over something that happened with this steer winning so they protested it.  If in fact it ends up that the protest is correct, then yes there needs to be some type of penalty.  But I dont have much respect for the whistleblower either, because the fact that all this was brought to light after the steer won gives me the impression that they have no issue with the rules being bent until it didnt work in their favor.
It has been stated on here numerous times before by both myself and several others.  I dont like the fact that people cheat and there are politics etc, etc, but you are always going to have that no matter what you do in life.  Some people are going to try and pull strings to ensure the animals they want to win regardless if they deserve to, some people are going fit unethically and break the rules there, some are going to use illegal drugs and bend the rules there, some are going to fudge on the ownership rules and bend the rules there.  It has gone on for years and will continue to do so.  Not saying that nothing should be done about it, just saying that everyone knows the rules, and if you are willing to take the risk and break them, then you have to be willing to live with the consequences should you get caught and action is taken.

nkotb

I still wonder, where to sires supposedly fathered this steer, could it just be a mix-up?  Maybe the calf that showed at AK-Sar was sired by Monopoly and this is a Walks?  Either way, this is just pure speculation on my part.  I don't have any connection at all to any of the parties involved, I do however, hope for the integrity of our shows that it is proven false.

***edited by moderator to remove name

bcosu

The next thing this whole event will cause is for the NAILE to require DNA like kansas city which is a pain in the butt. It was nice that you only had to enter a steer before October and you didn't have to specify which steer, leaving you with some options if you had more than one left around.

MX7

DNA is simlpe. You pull hair or blood & send it in. If you think it's a pain you must cheat. All shows should go to DNA. This goes on every year @ NAILE. NAILE does'nt want this. They want the numbers & the best animals in the country to win @ NAILE.

KSanburg

So what happens if it's a clone the DNA doesn't mean squat, so then you have to have a DNA data base and all steers have to be cross referenced at time of entry, what a bunch of BS. I mean if a person had what like 4  or 5 clones set up to win American Royal, NAILE, Denver, Ft. Worth and Huston all the same calf all of the DNA should be exactly the same so there goes that rule too. How would you ever know? I am guessing about that because I have no experience with clones but I would assume that it would be identical.

Wow can you imagine what fun that would be? What kind of H*!! would be raised over that one? Of course there is no absolute way to guarantee the calf would win all of the shows. I have no idea what it costs to clone a animal but there are already people spending $50k on a steer so maybe it isn't to big of a deal for someone.

It's time for an adult beverage!  ;D