Heifer Breeding question

Help Support Steer Planet:

jsmyers

Hello, I'm new to breeding show calves, I have always had cattle but they were mainly feedlot calves and breed a few commercially with a neighbors bull. Well since I graduated college and got myself financially on my feet so me and my brother decided to buy a couple heifers to try and raise some show calves for our younger cousins. I've got a solid gold heifer and a Walks Alone heifer who could most definitely use some height. I would like to use the same bull on both and am considering Jesse James or I80 but am open to other options. 

Attachments

• Walks Alone Heifer.jpg
    Walks Alone Heifer.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 250
  • Solid Gold Heifer.jpg
    Solid Gold Heifer.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 260

sizzler14

Right now I think they have plenty of size considring when those pictures were taken. If I owned them, I would consider Crimson Tide or Maternally Yours.

jsmyers

I'm not to familiar with those 2, what about them would make you want to use them? Also with the walks alone heifer she is quite a bit shorter in her height than I'd like so would they help improve in that area?

OH Breeder

I think that both heifers could benefit from I-80 as well as Northern Improvement. There are some great fullblood calving ease bulls that would work on both females. I would almost look at some of the Char bulls for your smoke and a red maine, shorthorn or angus for the red female. Lots of Red Angus bulls that would provide a snall calf with lots of grow and the primary goal is live calf with a productive female post calving. Dream on and other purebred Simmi bulls would work too. All depends on what you want to do with the calves. When you are trying to build a herd to start with solid females that will have some productive ability. do your research on your bull choices and it might not hurt to have them pelvic measured.

jsmyers

Thanks for the replies, I looked up some calving ease bulls and liked Northern Improvement. I saw a new one out called Slider from Trausch who is out of Northern Improvement and looks interesting. Has anybody seen or heard much about him?

Warrior10

I don't think I'd go Jesse James, he is a good heifer bull but I don't think he give you enough growth on these particular heifers. Check out Comfort Zone...I also like the looks of Slider from Trauschs. Those are pretty clubby/high BW pedigreed heifers so be careful. They look good, best of luck!

Warrior10

Forgot to add..I have seen a few No Worries x Walks Alone calves that are pretty dang good. That cross seems to work well.

Till-Hill

Sizzler14 said:
Right now I think they have plenty of size considring when those pictures were taken. If I owned them, I would consider Crimson Tide or Maternally Yours.
We had 2 Maternally Yours calves this spring both out of 3/4 Simmental cows. 102 and 85 #s and way to stout for a heifer. Nice calves tho.

I'd use NI or another PROVEN calving ease bull

sizzler14

Between my neighbor a friend of mine and myself I know of 13 maternally yours calves born and the biggest was 78 pounds

Till-Hill

Sizzler14 said:
Between my neighbor a friend of mine and myself I know of 13 maternally yours calves born and the biggest was 78 pounds
I'll be danged. I had a perfect mating to him this spring untill I seen these two come out. We won't be using him on that heifer but will use him more on mature cows. Really love the calves.