Heifer Calf with a twisted rear leg?

Help Support Steer Planet:

BogartBlondes

We had a calf born this morning that has three good legs and one back leg is bent back about half way up the cannon bone. Any suggestions for cause or solution?

Attachments

• 021.jpg
    021.jpg
    580.5 KB · Views: 293
  • 013.jpg
    013.jpg
    666.1 KB · Views: 494

aj

Unless its the Ds defect........poison weed......radiation from a nuclear plant. I've only seen one th defective calf......this deal almost looks like something new. What breeds in the pedigree?

BogartBlondes

She is purebred Blonde d' Aquitaine; I thought th was only Shorthorn/shorthorn influenced? Otherwise the calf is 100% good, she is up and around and is healthy otherwise.

Gargan

BogartBlondes said:
She is purebred Blonde d' Aquitaine; I thought th was only Shorthorn/shorthorn influenced? Otherwise the calf is 100% good, she is up and around and is healthy otherwise.
Have blondes had any Galloway influence bred into them over time? I'm not familiar with the breed.

HAB

Gargan said:
BogartBlondes said:
Have blondes had any Galloway influence bred into them over time? I'm not familiar with the breed.

Galloways eliminated TH in the 60's-70's.

PDJ

aj said:
Can the calf stand? I didn't think th calves could stand.
From what I understand, TH calves always die within a short time (minutes to a couple of hours) after birth.

OH Breeder

TH refers to the absence of all or part of the tibia--the bone between the stifle and hock--and the absence of all or part of a limb. These calves also have large abnormal hernias, twisted legs, and can have a skull deformity. Unlikely the calf is "TH positive" or you would see the associated hernias and skull deformity. TH positive calves do not live more than a day or two. The abdominal hernias are usually life threatening.

I would notify your association if this calf is purebred Blonde d'Aquitaine.

OH Breeder

I don't know where you live but I did find the following which sounds very much like your calf.

These feeding trials were conducted at the USDA Poisonous Plant Research Laboratory at Logan, Utah. Pregnant cows were fed either silky or tailcup lupines during various periods of gestation and in some cases their calves were born deformed. Both plants produced the condition, but cows were susceptible only during certain periods of gestation.The principal hazardous period proved to be the 40th- 70th days of gestation. Based on the results of the feeding trials, we believe that period is the only period of serious concern to ranchers. Deformed calves in the feeding trials were born with deformities like those of crooked calf disease field cases. Crooked calf disease deformities included bowing or twisting of legs with joints often locked in unusual positions. Either front or rear legs can be involved, but usually front. Careful examination
of defleshed leg specimens shows that there can be malalignment of the joint bones or curvature or rotation of
long bones.

Dale

A TH calf can stand and live for a day or two (confirmed TH calf).  Calf did not nurse, had opening on top of its skull, and a hernia underneath.

OH Breeder

Dale said:
A TH calf can stand and live for a day or two (confirmed TH calf).  Calf did not nurse, had opening on top of its skull, and a hernia underneath.

How long do you think that calf could "live" like that?

Diamond

Looks like a genetic mutation,  something went wrong just like as it can happen in a human. Is tge leg hard or are the joints flexible?  If it has mobility you may be able to help it form into the correct shape, but she will always have issues. If the joints are solid and there is no movement the kindest thing would be a bullet. In eather case she she shouldnt be anything other then a market animal. If thay is genetic you could be breeding it into your herd.

obie105

If it can get around and eat and make it to weaning it will make it to market. When I worked at sale barn in college there was an ole boy that would buy all the odd calves. The 3 legged, blind, or the stuff that would only bring .05/lb. he would take them home and keep them in a small lot and fatten them up. If its not fixed I would work at trying to get it to go downward. It could have just been laying very wrong in the cow.

BogartBlondes

This calf is up and standing and nursing on its own, it is doing very well! I am thinking the cow may have eaten something poisonous on pasture and it may have had this affect. I am not totally sure. I have had other calves from the exact same bloodlines come out just fine. Thanks for your assistance everyone

aj

I may be wrong but I don't think th calves can stand. Are'nt both back legs always goofed?