Heifer calfed but never bagged down yet

Help Support Steer Planet:

bar5

We had a first time heifer calf on Sat. by what she was preg checked at in Nov she wasn't suppose to calf until Feb. She had a 80lb bull calf by c-section on sat at noon, fyi this is a shorthorn heifer not sure of here breeding but she is a purebreed, she still has not gotten a bag on her the calf is trying to suck,but I don't know if he is getting much. He must be getting something because he is still allert and trying. Have supplemented with a 1/2 bottle last night and this morning. Will she eventually get milk? Is there anything you can give them let thier milk down or increase production? Any advice is appreciated. Thanks

CPL

Who performed the c-section and how did that go? Talk to your vet to see if oxytocin could help in this case.

CAB

Ocytocin will help & the calf stimulating the heifer will also help. She will come into her milk as some time goes by. JMO.

bar5

As far as we know the c-section went fine we were in Denver and the neighbor took her to the vet. I will talk to him about the oxytocin tomorrow. Thanks again for the advice. It good to know there is hope and we won't have to bottle feed all spring.

Downtown Pete

just because a calf doesn't get colostrum doesn't mean it will die.  does it put it behind the eight ball and make it more vulnerable to sickness. yes. will it die. sometimes. not everytime...  in my experience, the ones that calve and don't show much bag don't seem like they ever will milk that good.  hopefully the oxytocin will help.  i would just make sure to give her some extra feed and keep bottle feeding the calf until the cow pick up her milk or you have another cow to put the calf on.

justa cowman

Just calved out heifer last week very little milk gave colostrum then milk replacer two days also two shots oxy 24hrs apart calf is doing great now