Heifer calving question

Help Support Steer Planet:

farmboy

Had an I-80 on a sun seeker x Taz heifer go 9 days over last year

results?

428662_3222002070145_1269250461_33372963_1691556885_n.jpg

HGC

We had five I80 calves last year, all out of cows.  Based on 283 days gestation our cows went +1, +2, +5, 0, and +3.  Birth weights were 73, 83, 91, 65, and 86.  Hope this helps.

kfacres

WB ShowCattle said:
Cut the BS said:
We've calved--- o maybe 1000 heifers in the last 10 years or so... and I can truthfully say-- not once have we cut a cow open to get her calf...  not once...  we've had hard pulls-- even had a 95#er come out of an 18 month old heifer-- but we've never cut one out. 

in every case, where I've felt like I needed to take control-- I've induced labor-- and in every case- it was exactly one cycle early--- and I've never saved a baby lamb or calf. 

We have cut open some ewes before- and a first timer goat-- but those were special circumstances, and it wasn't due to baby size- but a prolapse in every case I can remember.
my first heifer experience was 110 lbs! talk about a scary hard pull

that is what you get for chasing the latest- unproven- crossed up- clubby fad-- promoted for use on heifers. (angel)

CAB

kreuzmanfarms said:
We are figuring on a 283 gestation. If this were a cow i wouldn't be too concerned. When we rectally examined the heifer today the calf was mid forearm deep and felt pretty big. The heifer looks very pregnant but has a very small udder (often typical for heifers) but she did have milk. As I stated before the heifer couldn't have gotten pregnant on her next cycle because we didn't A.I. (she showed no signs of heat) and the bull was not with her. Therefore if this isn't an A.I. calf then it is a good 5 weeks from being due. If this is the case I am extremely concerned on the size of the calf. She will be at 290 days gestation tomorrow which still isn't too bad but is concerning on a heifer. We are going to have her vet checked tomorrow and go from there.

Curious as to what your vet thought and if you have received your new arrival yet?

wyatt

Cut the BS said:
WB ShowCattle said:
Cut the BS said:
We've calved--- o maybe 1000 heifers in the last 10 years or so... and I can truthfully say-- not once have we cut a cow open to get her calf...  not once...  we've had hard pulls-- even had a 95#er come out of an 18 month old heifer-- but we've never cut one out. 

in every case, where I've felt like I needed to take control-- I've induced labor-- and in every case- it was exactly one cycle early--- and I've never saved a baby lamb or calf. 

We have cut open some ewes before- and a first timer goat-- but those were special circumstances, and it wasn't due to baby size- but a prolapse in every case I can remember.
patialy true but even when i used him i talked to a few people who i trust very much that we got the heifer from and they were going to buy him i think... but they said it would work and then the bull was still around 4 years old  ??? lol

that is what you get for chasing the latest- unproven- crossed up- clubby fad-- promoted for use on heifers. (angel)

CAB

Kreuzmanfarms, have you got an update for us on your heifer? Totally curious if I-80 is going to be a safe CE bull that we can count on.

Alpha

Cut the BS said:
WB ShowCattle said:
Cut the BS said:

well BS I'm pretty sure there is a thread on here about you and your opinions. But now your just assuming that CAB tried to chase the latest-unproven-crossed up clubby fad-- promoted for use on heifers and you know what they say about assumptions they are like A holes and every one has one and they all stink. CAB just said his first experience with calving out a heifer wasn't a good one.

wyatt

Alpha said:
Cut the BS said:
WB ShowCattle said:
Cut the BS said:

well BS I'm pretty sure there is a thread on here about you and your opinions. But now your just assuming that CAB tried to chase the latest-unproven-crossed up clubby fad-- promoted for use on heifers and you know what they say about assumptions they are like A holes and every one has one and they all stink. CAB just said his first experience with calving out a heifer wasn't a good one.
i think he was referring to me not cab and the bull was carpe diem

kfacres

Alpha said:
Cut the BS said:
WB ShowCattle said:
Cut the BS said:

get your facts straight before you start mouthing off- even ole Wyatt admitted it.. 

sorry to say, but i don't mind having a post about me...  I find it ironic that more positive posts regarding me- on my VERY OWN Post-- were in favorable words...

farmboy

Cowgirl94 said:
My heifer had her I-80 calf 11 days early but she wasnt springing at all yet but when we went out there to check the cows the calf was dead and looked like it was a still born. Hell of calf though so it really sucked but the little heifer weighed 62 lbs. and was really really good!

You didn't float the lung in water?