Heifer Calving

Help Support Steer Planet:

flyintale

I have grown up mainly around dairy cattle.  Our beef cattle were down the road at my grandpa's house....so I have never been able to witness the changes a beef heifer goes through while pregnant and shortly before calving.  I know that they don't bag down and swell as much in the udder as a dairy heifer would, but I know there should be some similarities.  I have 2 clubby heifers that are due march 5.  I never got around to preg checking them due to chute situations, but I also never seen any signs of heat.  They are not extremely fat like I had figured an 8 month bred heifer would be, and have shown minimal changes in their udders.  Does anybody have any pictures of a heavy bred heifer I could go by or any have any info that would be helpful?  Thanks in advance!

Gargan

what are ur hfrs pedigree (sire and dam side)? Also, a 1st time hfr can literally bag up overnite, but u should be able to see a little sign of them being bred (springing up a little behind or a little fullness starting to show in the udders). Any pics of ur 2 hfrs?

flyintale

I have a Grizzly x Maine cross and Aftershock x Irish whiskey daughter, both are bred to Ali.  I am not feeding them very hard, so I'm hoping the calves are just pee-wees.  The Aftershock heifer is a very long and broody.  And I actually just came back feeding and saw what I didn't want to see....A trace of blood on the grizzly heifer's tail :(  I will get a pic of the Aftershock heifer soon!

flyintale

This is the Aftershock heifer!

Attachments

• IMG_0602_01.jpg
    IMG_0602_01.jpg
    746.6 KB · Views: 170
  • IMG_0604_01.jpg
    IMG_0604_01.jpg
    702 KB · Views: 179

Gargan

i wouldnt be too concerned yet, its possible she could be 3 weeks away. she is pretty stout made so i wouldnt expect a large bag from her. looks to me like shes starting to make a bag from the top pic. its hard to tell if shes starting to spring up any by the 2nd photo IMO. keep us updated

mainegirl

My AI bred heifers are due the 6th and most of them have bags about the same size as yours. I have 1 that is bigger and swelled a little heavier than the others, but I'm pretty sure she's gonna come a little earlier than the rest. Good luck! :)

Latest posts