Heifer housing

Help Support Steer Planet:

steerman89

I have a heifer that I am showing this year. I really like her. however, i am planning on going to college this fall and my parents say she can not stay home due to not having the facility to calve. but I want to keep her. I have been thinking about talking to a few guys and seeing if they would house her, pay all feed expenses and what not, then when she calves they keep the calf and all money made of it. I just want her to go somehwere until i have a place of my own to keep her. any suggestions/ opinions would be appreciated it. thanks

obie105

Where are you located? Where are you going to school? You might be able to take her with to college. I kept my show heifers at school with me. Just an idea.

obie105

I had a show cattle guy I kept mine at his house. If you know someone in the area or do some networking you might find somebody.

McM93

Call around, somebody should be willing to help a college kid..., I would hope!

OLD WORLD SHORTIE

Often these kind of deals end up sour. Dont care to tend other people's animals at my place. Ive got three here just for breeding that have over stayed their welcome as far as im concerned.

chambero

Old World - we are of the same mind on this situation.  The first thing that needs to get learned by kids with cattle projects is the true value and importance of land.  I think some ag programs do kids a disservice to some kids by pushing heifer projects instead of steers to kids who dont have access to land.  I'll loan a heifer to a kid vs selling one in those situations.  When I was in that position years ago, I either showed loaned heifers or put them in sales when done.  I think the Tx scramble programs made a big improvement when they started allowing kids to get steers.