Heifer Progression

Help Support Steer Planet:

BogartBlondes

This is an April Blonde heifer that we have raised. A picture of her as a calf and of her as a yearling. Thoughts? 

Attachments

• boat trip and sale pics 012.JPG
    boat trip and sale pics 012.JPG
    948.1 KB · Views: 204
  • angie baby shower 265.JPG
    angie baby shower 265.JPG
    114.4 KB · Views: 789

BogartBlondes

I assume by the number of replies that you don't like her. Please keep in mind I would like to hear both good an bad comments towards her.
Thanks

Will

I would guess most people on this site are like myself and have seen very few Blondes.  It looks like you have done a good job feeding her and getting some middle in her.  She does not have the ideal hind leg for most club calf breeders but I think she is fine for her breed.

BogartBlondes

In my opinion, it takes a more 'extreme' breed to influence more muscle the clubby/maine/shorthorn calves. Hair doesn't push down the scales, in the end its about making beef.

Mill Iron A

I'm sure this heifer has a ton of shape, she looks like she could produce some very high yielding progeny. I feel like her glaring fault would be her lack of feminity. If she was better there I think we could nit pick tiny things but start there and you will have a lot more fans.

BogartBlondes

Thanks for the comments. Here is a picture of the bull we bred her to. Do you think this fella will improve some of her faults?

Attachments

• Sam 1.jpg
    Sam 1.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 195

Barry Farms

Not really, he has the same thick masculine look that your heifer does. A bull with a longer neck and overall extension would help w/ femininity however she could produce a heck of a bull for you.

Warrior10

I'll be the first to admit I know absolutely nothing about Blondes....but if I were judging her just like any other cow.

Pro's: Power and length of body. I am guessing she will be a good
Con's: Don't like her front or back leg sets, did a great job of feeding her but she still doesn't have the best depth of body, and like said before lack of femininity (but that might just be the breed type).

I am sure the breed and this cow have a place in the industry for some people where they will produce well, just not sure going off these photos that the show ring is one of them.

BogartBlondes

Blondes were imported to Canada for the specific purpose of cross-breeding to increase rib eye, weaning weight, overall performance, maintain calving ease and increase milk production.

Thanks Muddy Creek for the comments, masculinity is one of the breeds traits but, she is probably as feminine as a blonde will get.

I will agree that this breed is of a different type than clubby/shorthorn/Maine show cattle. IMO that doesn't totally eliminate them from being show cattle.