Heifer Show Winners -- "The Look"

Help Support Steer Planet:

Agreed on the Char. What about this one of my neighbors? She is adequate in rib but not extreme by any means, good structured and probably the best fronted that you could make a pure bred simmy. Also very heavy muscled. But she can never seem to get past her division, always third in division it seems. I feel like 10 years ago they would have been all over her. What do  you think? http://pearlspics.com/photocart/index.php?do=photocart&viewGallery=12466#image=1127548

showmo

That purebred of your neighbors just lacks maternal depth and looks a little plain form the side

shortyjock89

simmyshower123 said:
Agreed on the Char. What about this one of my neighbors? She is adequate in rib but not extreme by any means, good structured and probably the best fronted that you could make a pure bred simmy. Also very heavy muscled. But she can never seem to get past her division, always third in division it seems. I feel like 10 years ago they would have been all over her. What do  you think? http://pearlspics.com/photocart/index.php?do=photocart&viewGallery=12466#image=1127548

Doesn't really matter what would have won a decade ago, does it?

She's okay, but I bet she just flat gets out horsed.

No it doesnt, i just feel like shes behind the times. Put the right bull on her and i feel you would have something fairly special.

cowboy_nyk

Simmyshower - yes she's nice and angular but she looks a bit tight wound for today's show ring.  They need a bit more substance and softness to compete these days.  You're likely right in saying that she'll be a very useful cow and breeding piece however.

oakview

Our neighbors had the champion purebred Simmental heifer at the Iowa State Fair.  Compare her photo (readily available on the Pulse, I believe) to what you've posted.  The heifer you've pictured is a nice female, but would have been way down the line here.  She just needs more mass, volume, etc., to compete in my opinion.  Still a nice female, though.

Agreed on the comments. Any breeding suggestions for her? Im thinking  cns pays to dream or hoc broker,

Farmboy101

Saw the reserve champ commercial at MN State Fair.  She was definitely a market heifer deluxe and even though she appears sound from the pic she could not move.  The commercial class was probably one of the poorest classes in a few years.