Heifer Size Question

Help Support Steer Planet:

txclubcalves

We have a heifer that is really nice and thick and that we think would throw great show steers except... She is REALLY small. Although filled out and over a year old, she is barely taller than hip height. Her hips also seem a little narrow despite her overall stocky appearance. Does anyone know of heifers like this that have been able to produce calves successfully? Or of any bulls that they'd recommend for a small heifer like her? Or is it not worth it and we should just sell her to slaughter?

CWshorthorns

If you could post a picture i am sure that there are many that will try to help you out. they have helped me when i have posted a picture about a heifer or cow.

DL

Get her pelvic measured before you decide to breed her - if her pelvic area is very small for age then the most prudent decision might be to ship her

ganggreen

txclubcalves said:
We have a heifer that is really nice and thick and that we think would throw great show steers except... She is REALLY small. Although filled out and over a year old, she is barely taller than hip height. Her hips also seem a little narrow despite her overall stocky appearance. Does anyone know of heifers like this that have been able to produce calves successfully? Or of any bulls that they'd recommend for a small heifer like her? Or is it not worth it and we should just sell her to slaughter?
i would cut her head off

inthebarnagain

We have a cow that is now a 4 year old that weighs, at her heaviest 900 pounds, very short.  We had her pelvis measured before ever breeding and she was plenty big.  She can pop out an 85-90 pound calf in minutes and raises them as big as the 1200-1400 pound cows standing next to her. 

Get her measured, that is the only way to know for sure.