Heifer that wont eat

Help Support Steer Planet:

slr129

I have a april heifer that wont eat lately. she use to eat very well about 15 pounds a day. I want to keep her at the rate but lately she has only been eating 3 scoops a feeding. What can i giver her to maintain her daily gain?

garett

I don't know where you are located, but the heat might have something to do with it, unless she is kept in a cooler during the day. Its been in the 90s here for the last couple days and is supposed to be for like the next week or so and my heifer has definitely slowed up on eating. Not a lot you can do about that.

Warrior10

slr129 said:
I have a april heifer that wont eat lately. she use to eat very well about 15 pounds a day. I want to keep her at the rate but lately she has only been eating 3 scoops a feeding. What can i giver her to maintain her daily gain?
Feed her very early (we do 6am central time) then later when cools off (9PM).....been working great for us, calves eating great! Goodluck

branson.m.

Mabe the Diamond V Yeast products, I just use Opti Zime by Manna Pro, anything pro bios to keep their gut moving. You could try some fat oil to sweeten it up. Other then that just play around with it till you find something she loves!

CAB

Is this an April 2011 born heifer? If she is and won't eat 15lbs per day I would say that you need to have someone take a look @ her. She's not feeling well if she won't eat that amount of feed @ her age. JMO.

everybreedcounts

drench her feed in molasses. that usually does the trick. also if you give her a lot of hay think about cutting her back. that will increase her appetite for the grain

Ohio1

I would cut hay out of her diet for a while and feed her when it's cooler if your in the extreme heat

frostback

Cattle are ruminents and NEED hay (roughage) in their diet. If she is not eating grain she is telling you something, either she does not like the grain or she is not feeling well. Take her temp, probias her, try different grain. Does she have a eating buddy?

marlajill

I have a April 2011 heifer that want eat too.  I've tried a lot of things, probios, less hay, feeding times, even tried a different feed.  NO LUCK.  I'm assuming its the heat, seeing how its been in the triple digits here in South Carolina. It was 106 on Sunday. Any helpful suggestions would be appreciated.

showsteerdlux

marlajill said:
I have a April 2012 hiefer that want eat too.  I've tried a lot of things, probios, less hay, feeding times, even tried a different feed.  NO LUCK.  I'm assuming its the heat, seeing how its been in the triple digits here in South Carolina. It was 106 on Sunday. Any helpful suggestions would be appreciated.
Just wondering out loud here, but why would you have a heifer that is Max 3 months old on full feed? Maybe you meant an '11? If so, this heat has Bern taking it right out of them. They don't like it a bit, and I can't say I blame them. Just try to keep her on feed of this is the case. Also depending how much fiber you are running on the rations, contrary to an earlier post, hay may not be necessary on a full time basis. Cotton seed hulls work just as good at keeping that rumen going.

frostback

showsteernc said:
marlajill said:
Cotton seed hulls work just as good at keeping that rumen going.

Ive never had a sick bovine and had a vet recommend going and getting cotton seed hulls, they always say all the grass hay, and clean water they want, to get better.
Speaking of water does the heifer have acccess to water all day or is she tied up during the day?

vc

I'm with Frostback, hay and fresh water, try and keep them cool the best you can when the weather breaks the appetite will return.

showsteerdlux

frostback said:
showsteernc said:
marlajill said:
Cotton seed hulls work just as good at keeping that rumen going.

Ive never had a sick bovine and had a vet recommend going and getting cotton seed hulls, they always say all the grass hay, and clean water they want, to get better.
Speaking of water does the heifer have acccess to water all day or is she tied up during the day?
I never once saw anything about sick cattle?????? I won't argue that for sick cattle, grass hay is the way to go. According to your post, you said roughage was necessary, I was giving an option on roughage that may already be in the ration and they are getting enough of it to get the rumen bugs what they need. No reason to let them fill up on hay during this weather when there is enough roughage already in the diet.

Another thing, I would say changing the feed when a calf is under stress (not eating), is one of the worst things you can possibly do when you are trying to fight intake issues. This can mess up the rumen bugs even more. Just stick to what you have on grain, and make the changes gradually once you get the animal straightened out. I do agree that some of the top dress products can help. We give everything in the barn Fasttrack and Sure Champ pellets. If we have any issues then we pop them with some sure charge. Seems to do the trick.

OH Breeder

showsteernc said:
marlajill said:
I have a April 2012 hiefer that want eat too.  I've tried a lot of things, probios, less hay, feeding times, even tried a different feed.  NO LUCK.  I'm assuming its the heat, seeing how its been in the triple digits here in South Carolina. It was 106 on Sunday. Any helpful suggestions would be appreciated.
Just wondering out loud here, but why would you have a heifer that is Max 3 months old on full feed? Maybe you meant an '11? If so, this heat has Bern taking it right out of them. They don't like it a bit, and I can't say I blame them. Just try to keep her on feed of this is the case. Also depending how much fiber you are running on the rations, contrary to an earlier post, hay may not be necessary on a full time basis. Cotton seed hulls work just as good at keeping that rumen going.

Our calves have never liked the cotton seed hulls. In this case I think alot of you are right on track. Heat every year slows gains with show calves. If you as a human know how you feel at a meal in 100 degree weather you don't want to load up on food usually. Animals don't either. You can always have a vet check her if you think something else has changed ie bowel and bladder habits etc. But usually show calves with hair don't mix well with this weather we have been having.

If you rinse more frequently and try and keep the core body temperature down you may see an improved appetite. Probiotics never hurt and fresh water 24 x7 helps. We leave grass mixed hay free choice. Our calves have not went off feed yet but they sure do enjoy the hay. Make sure you have plenty of air moving. It doesn't have to be fancy. When I started out it was nothing more than a couple box fans and rinsing three times a day. Goodluck.

frostback

frostback said:
Cattle are ruminents and NEED hay (roughage) in their diet. If she is not eating grain she is telling you something, either she does not like the grain or she is not feeling well. Take her temp, probias her, try different grain. Does she have a eating buddy?

Take her temp, probias her, try different grain. Sorry that should have ended in a question mark, they were questions not suggestions at this time.

mick rems

up by us we got a product called PRIORITY ONE. i think its being marketed around the states more, its meant for dairy, but works on beef too. we've used it in the past, steer was on 30 lbs a day, and mowed it all down. he also gained 4.6 lbs a day with being on it, and had reserve carcass. it can be pricey, but u only have to feed 1 ounce a day, but u can't over do it you can feed 8 ounces a day if u want, depends on the severity of the animals lack of appetite. it's a product i would definitely reccomend to anyone.  i'd put her on 3 time a day feeding. with this heat im actually not having any issues with cattle eating, currently my steers on a hot diet and eating 27 lbs of grain a day, plus hay and a ton of winning fill, hes also on heavy weight. my heifer is on 18 lbs of grain a day, and she eats that no problem, the heifer ration we actually got off of here, and they love it. we don't actually have water in front of them all the time, but i take them out for water every couple hours, they usually always have food in front of them, unless, they are getting rinsed, blown, or have their heads tied up.
my personal recomendations would be to:
1. keep them cool
2. put them on 3 time a day feeding, it reduces how much they have to eat at a time, and they guts can handle the grain better
3. make sure they get enough water
4. make sure they get enough roughages.
5. get them on something that helps keep the bacteria and ph of their guts in balance. (appetite express, probios, priority) weve tried it all and the one with the best outcome was by far the priority.