Heifer throws head---maybe halter problem?

Help Support Steer Planet:

LLFarms

We've had an Angus heifer about a month. She's coming along pretty well---leading good, but still not dead broke. Because she's hard to halter, we've been using one you leave on--the kind with the chain underneath.  She will stand to be brushed all over, but if anyone tries to handle her near her chin, neck, etc. she really throws her head and acts up. I wondered if she might be a little sore from halter breaking, but she never fought the halter much so I don't think that's it. I'm thinking it may be the halter, so I'm thinking of putting a rope halter on her and just leaving it on until she gets easier to catch. Anyone have any other suggestions for getting her to allow more handling around her head? Has anyone had issues with these type halters?

knabe

if the problem was getting the halter on, what was the chain supposed to accomplish?

pretend the lead rope is barb wire.

that will change your thinking on how to handle them.

lightnin4

Those halters can be pretty harsh.  They had us use them on some calves we broke for a class in college.  They put them on all of the calves one day and by day 3 it had cut into my heifer's chin.  She was pretty crazy anyway, so I took it off, let her heal, then started putting a rope halter on only when we worked her.  We had to put her in the squeeze chute to get it on the first few times, but eventually I could put it on in a small pen.

Check to see if the halter has made her sore.  You may need to try something different.

rocknmranch

I would ditch the halter with the chain. They aren't very nice halters to use on young ones just learning. You want them to like you and trust you, not be scared of you and every time you pull on her or touch her she gets hurt. Even if not intentional, it's still hurting her. Use a rope halter, and since you can pet and brush her all over, give her a few free days without a halter. Just love on her.

LLFarms

Thanks for all of the comments. I think based on what all of you have shared, we'll take the chain type halter off and try the rope one. We were thinking it would make things easier since you can leave those types on and have something to catch her by since we don't have a chute to put her in yet. But evidently it has bothered her.  Hopefully this will help.

The Show

I'm assuming your talking about a Johnson halter. I love those! I worked for a guy last fall, and we broke 25 brahman calves with them and never had problem with them rubbing. We would leave them on 24/7 until they were broke enough that we could catch them with a rope halter. If you are using a Johnson halter I can think of two things that might be causing it. Either A) it's not properly adjusted, or B) your clipping the lead only to the chain. There are two clips, one underneath and the one on the chain. Make sure your clipping both of them because if your only clipping the chain then when she pulls shes putting all the pressure on the chain, and her chin.

Latest posts