Heifer with light bloat?

Help Support Steer Planet:

nkotb

I have a heifer whose left side is always slightly larger than her right.  She has never had loose stools, or any other symptoms of an upset stomach, other than this.  She is on free choice sorghumXsudan hay, and in with a group of 4 other calves.  They are receiving 40-45 pounds per day fed between two feedings.  She is the smallest of the bunch weighing 4-450 I'm guessing.  Do I need to include baking soda or something with the grain?  I've started pulling her separate and feeding her less grain to see if that is the culprit.

nkotb

Thought a couple pictures might help.  Doesn't necessarily look like bloat, just her right side sticks out farther than the left. 

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 280
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 247

frostback

If that is as full as she looks I would not worry about her at all. Her stomach is on the left side so it will be fuller on that side and is normal. If she gets as full as the photo then worry.

Attachments

• bloat_case_2.jpg
    bloat_case_2.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 760

GoWyo

The one on the left is the one to worry about.  The one on the far right appears to have expired so nothing to worry about except where to drag it downwind of the house..

frostback

I saw that too after I posted it. I just found the example online, not a personal photo thank goodness.

GoWyo

I cracked up when I saw the dead one and wasn't sure which one you were referring the OP to. ;D

Medium Rare

GoWyo said:
I cracked up when I saw the dead one and wasn't sure which one you were referring the OP to. ;D

I had a pretty good laugh out of it too.  The pic's file name being "bloat case two" even cracked me up because we all see how "bloat case one" turned out.

Anyone who has "been there done that" can appreciate the seriousness and hilariousness of that picture and file name.

Gargan

Medium Rare said:
GoWyo said:

I had a pretty good laugh out of it too.  The pic's file name being "bloat case two" even cracked me up because we all see how "bloat case one" turned out.

Anyone who has "been there done that" can appreciate the seriousness and hilariousness of that picture and file name.
(lol)

nkotb

My biggest issue is showing her/trying to sell her, it's not real aesthetically appealing even the little bit that is there.

CAB

As stated above your heifer does not have bloat on her right side, but you may want to have her evaluated by a vet. She does appear to have some sort of issue there on her right side. Perhaps a sliver has caused a soft abscess for just an example.