Heifer's vulva is HUGE, could anyone tell me what the problem could be?

Help Support Steer Planet:

shortyjock89

Our January heifer came in to eat tonight, and I noticed that her vulva was swollen with poo on it.  Tied her up, and found that it's really swollen, really badly.  As big as my fist I would say.  I'm not the one who has been feeding the last couple days, so I'm not sure how fast this happened.  I would think that other people would certainly notice if it was like this this morning or yesterday, but I guess they're all just worthless. 

Called the vet, not our usual one. He seemed to think it was either trauma-induced (not sure how?), or hormonal (meaning I don't know when a heifer is in heat?). It looks like a pretty big infection, and if I had Polyflex, I'd give her some of that.  All we have is penicillin, and I thought about giving some of that since we can't get a vet here until tomorrow.  She doesn't look to be in much distress, but she will NOT let me inspect her any further. I know it can't feel good, but I feel pretty helpless as far as helping her tonight.  Any one got any help to offer?  Thanks in Advance.

common sense

Get her a shot of antihistimine.  I would say that she is having an allergic reaction.  DO THIS!  I have had it happen several times.  That last one died because I thought she would be just fine.  The vet guessed that it was caused by a bee sting but really wasn't sure.  It won't hurt to err towards caution.

shortyjock89

Thanks Juli- If we had some antihisimine, I'd give her some in a heartbeat.  Looks like we have to wait until the vet gets here in the morning.  What are some of the common bovine anihistimines?

justintime

I would agree that it is a allergic reaction. Could be triggered by certain weeds in the hay etc. I would also agree that antihistamine should be given a.s.a.p. You should see improvement in a few hours after the injection, and it should be nearly disappeared in a day. It always amazes me how something that looks incredibly sore, can heal so quickly. It is important that you treat this as soon as possible.
As mentioned above, it can be caused by a bee sting, but if it was caused by a bee, you are certainly much warmer than we are!!

andy

Watch your feed.  Sounds like a mycotoxin thing to me.  Those of us that have fed hogs probably have seen a similar thing in gilts (or maybe I'm the only one who has ever had some crappy feed......)

TJ

Probably too late tonight, but you could medicate a little molasses with some antihistamine to disguise the taste & add it to the feed.

shortyjock89

andy said:
Watch your feed.  Sounds like a mycotoxin thing to me.  Those of us that have fed hogs probably have seen a similar thing in gilts (or maybe I'm the only one who has ever had some crappy feed......)

I sure hope it's not in the feed....none of the other heifers are having problems.  We're feeding a mix from our feed mill (never had trouble before), cut by 1/2 with Umbarger Breeder/Grower.  The hay is of good quality, and we baled it ourselves, but I bet she ate a weed in the hay, or maybe rubbed the wood fence and got a splinter in there? 

TJ

Olson Family Shorthorns said:
andy said:

I sure hope it's not in the feed....none of the other heifers are having problems.  We're feeding a mix from our feed mill (never had trouble before), cut by 1/2 with Umbarger Breeder/Grower.  The hay is of good quality, and we baled it ourselves, but I bet she ate a weed in the hay, or maybe rubbed the wood fence and got a splinter in there? 

It could be a lot of things... anything that has been mentioned.  My first thought was bee sting, but like justintime said, I'm not sure we've been that warm yet. 

fluffer

I had a cow do that several years ago.  I can't even remember if she was bred at the time or not, but it scared the heak out of me.  Turned out to be nothing and went away.  It was just a hormonal thing.  She has never done it since.

Fluffer

DL

just as a matter of clarification Predef is not an antihistamine it is a glucocorticoid similar to prednisone.  Since the stimulus for labor in the cow is fetal cortisol and since glucocorticoids mimic fetal cortisol this would not be a drug to use in a cavalier fashion in late pregnant cows.

Tripelannamine (Recover) is prescription antihistamine approved for use in cattle

CAB

Yes Juli, Recover is not expensive and keeps well @ room temp. It is commonly found in our part of the country. Brent

DL

Juli N a/k/a common sense said:
Is Recover something that you can keep on hand in case of emergency? 

Recover is a much used marginally effective drug - it is often used for self limiting conditions and thought to cure a problem that would have gone away by itself. For allergic reactions, particularly vaccine reactions epinephrine is a much better choice. Although most epi requires refrigeration there is one formulation that is stable at room temperature and much handier - your vet should be able to get it for you -

goose

DL said:
Juli N a/k/a common sense said:
Is Recover something that you can keep on hand in case of emergency? 

Recover is a much used marginally effective drug - it is often used for self limiting conditions and thought to cure a problem that would have gone away by itself. For allergic reactions, particularly vaccine reactions epinephrine is a much better choice. Although most epi requires refrigeration there is one formulation that is stable at room temperature and much handier - your vet should be able to get it for you -

I would agree with DL on this one, not sold on Recover use in cattle.  EPI works better for anaphylactic type reactions but could be used.  Might have a hard time getting EPI because EPI has replaced Sudafed in meth labs. Have heard of law enforcement stopping in to vet offices and letting them know about this.

Dailey0010

Where can you find Recover at ?? I can't seem to find it anywhere . CAB you said it was available in your area . Does anyone have a picture of the bottle or anything so my vet can find it ?

CAB

Recover is an anti-histamine, so Recover is the name brand. Your vet may carry a different brand name which will give you the same results. Good luck.

Latest posts