Help!! Bedding question

Help Support Steer Planet:

Ohio1

I have a new show barn and have always heard the ideal bedding is mulch for your show steers, so my questions are what type of mulch? And how deep do you put it? Thanks!

ruhtram

I used Cedar fiber at the end of my show career and that was by far the best..but it was costly!!

paj315

We use a product called soft step its very similar to mulch only without the dye and compost. Its a hardwood wood chip and is sold here locally in Indiana works great for show cattle. We put down a good base of ag lime about 12 inches or so, soak it down with water and then compact it. Then top it with around 10 - 12 inches of soft step. Works Great! The lime forms a good base and when its time to clean the stalls out and the wood chips start getting nasty we just scoop the chips out down to the lime and then fill the stalls back up. Most everyone around here uses this stuff even for their horses because it doesnt have any cherry or walnut in it.

paj315

I live southwest of Indianapolis and I get it from a place called Greendell Mulch and Mix it costs $18 a yard. I can get 2 yards in my short bed pickup.  I know there are different locations around for the company and there are other mulch companies that sell a very similar product.