HELP in Shorthorns! (Head exploding) :-\

Help Support Steer Planet:

MYT Farms

OK, PLEASE take just a second to give me some advice if you can. I have found some good Hereford bulls to breed to. I've narrowed it down to just a couple, and I know what cows I want to breed them to. In the Angus, I have a few more possibilities, but I have gotten a main course chosen and know what bulls will get me there.

But for Shorthorns?!?!?!?! I'm all over the board (literally), and I can't tell heads from tails. I'm going to be looking at a local bull (yes Box6, that's you!  :D ), but I do want to make sure I'm not close minded. When it comes to the SH breed, I certainly need help from people who have bred different bulls to many cows and have had experience with them. I want an efficient, fairly moderate, and DEEP bodied bull to put just a touch of power and color in my cows, but keep them maternal. I've been looking at Jakes Proud Jazz, Sin City, Perfect Timing, Sonny-n-CLear, etc., but I'm not sure which ones are what I'm looking for. Any past experiences with any of these or other bulls that would make good cows? Not looking at steers, and wanting to stay maternal. 'Preciate it.
MYT

MYT Farms

simtal said:
what cow base are you putting these on?

95% or higher Angus females. They, in my mind, are very deep, thick, easy fleshing cows. This heifer is a pretty good example of the kind of cows I'd use the bull on. I'd also like to try and get more calves like her.

EDIT: The cow in my avatar is about 90% Angus, and she's another prospect to breed to a SH bull.

Attachments

• #737resize.jpg
    #737resize.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 163

MYT Farms

shortdawg said:
Jake's Proud Jazz

Thanks! He looks like a good choice. Do the calves come relatively easy? (Forgive my ignorance, I'm not very keen on the breed  ??? )

shortdawg

Yes they do ! He will add style, muscle, soundness, hair, and will bring them down a frame score. We've had about 10 Grand and Reserves over the last two yrs. With our JPJ steers including an Overall Reserve at our State Show this year. Go to www.lindasphoto.com look under the Ga Jr. Nat'l link on page 28 pic 684 to see our most recent JPJ.

MYT Farms

shortdawg said:
Yes they do ! He will add style, muscle, soundness, hair, and will bring them down a frame score. We've had about 10 Grand and Reserves over the last two yrs. With our JPJ steers including an Overall Reserve at our State Show this year. Go to www.lindasphoto.com look under the Ga Jr. Nat'l link on page 28 pic 684 to see our most recent JPJ.
Thanks shortdawg! Wow, looks like JPJ is going to be a very likely bull on my short list. Do you know anything about Sonny-n-Clear? He really catches my eye, but I'd rather use a proven bull like JPJ.

BTW, VERY nice steer! Cool looking calf.

Cattledog

I know there is wiley shorthorn breeder(Justin) on these boards from Illinois who swears by Perfect Timing.  He has posted alot of nice pics of his calves.  He would surely be able to tell you a little about this bull. 

MYT Farms

Cattledog said:
I know there is wiley shorthorn breeder(Justin) on these boards from Illinois who swears by Perfect Timing.  He has posted alot of nice pics of his calves.  He would surely be able to tell you a little about this bull. 

I have talked with Justin about that, and he has told me Perfect Timing really works for him. I've seen some great Perfect Timing calves, too. Decisions, decisions.

shortdawg

Vegas is THC but he's a better bull by accident than Sin City is on purpose as far as show cattle go IMHO. Seen one Sonny-n- Clear and he was pretty good.

TJ

MYT Farms said:
Cattledog said:
I have talked with Justin about that, and he has told me Perfect Timing really works for him. I've seen some great Perfect Timing calves, too. Decisions, decisions.

I'm hearing that Justin just bought a real good 1/2 brother to Ace of Diamonds.  Very thick butted & a 6'ish frame.  Sounds like he's pretty nice.  I'd at least check to see if you could get some semen.   

SHORTH

I LIKE WHAT KABOOM WILL DO BUT HAVE TO WATCH CALF SIZE
NEVER USED HIM ON ANGUS BUT I LOVE MY KABOOM MOMS

MYT Farms

Jasmar said:
NPS Durango 774 describes what you are looking for to a "T". Why not try a proven bull.

Thanks, I'll look him up. TJ, I'll be sure to contact Justin.

box6rranch

Well you had to know that I was going to put my two cents in :)
Our bull's sire is Sin City. He's a proven calving ease, definitely throws more heifers than bulls. We have an amazing angus-shorthorn blue roan heifer my daughter is showing this year from him. He has loads of style, muscle, soundness and hair. He's not overly huge in frame score but has the deep body you are looking for. He's had a wide variety of colored calves, of course all of them have been beautiful!
Sooooooooooooooooooooooooo.....................................when are you coming out????????????????????? (lol)

CAB

Saw the Fringe bull yesterday. Very good SH bull, but I wouldn't think of plugging any heifers with him. The Sin City blood line would not be a recommended line for calving ease and he tends to make them bigger not smaller. The Sin City's here are big and harder keeping cows