Help on a fat steer

Help Support Steer Planet:

vet tech

County fair is september first. Know of a angus steer that weighs upper 1430. Hes getting one scoop of purina feed and 3 beat pulp...anything else to slow him down? He just keeps growing.

kfacres

Soehnlen Cattle Co. said:
County fair is september first. Know of a angus steer that weighs upper 1430. Hes getting one scoop of purina feed and 3 beat pulp...anything else to slow him down? He just keeps growing.

If I were you, I would read the post from the girl who has the heifer that won't fill up.. it would be a good learning experience for you..http://www.steerplanet.com/bb/index.php?topic=30942.0

Maybe, you could continue reducing his feed down?

FMF

I'm assuming your county fair has a weight limit...if so what is it?

vc

If he is finished, I would give him 2 scoops (6 pounds) of beat pulp, Bermuda hay and a protein and fat supplement twice a day. I would also walk him for about a mile a day. (This is as long as he is sound).
If he is not finished it would be hard to get finish on him on beat pulp and hay.
The best thing is to get a calf that should finish out about the time of your fair, I would look at a late March, April even early May for a September fair. (depends on calf and it breeding) Our show was in late June we would look at the Late January, February calves for our fair. It is still a crapshoot , some calves gain faster some slower, and some just grow like weeds, but rule of thumb is around 18 months they should be finished.