HELP please.... steer not gaining

Help Support Steer Planet:

hsShowCattle

My daughters steer (purebred shorthorn) has not gained any weight in the last 31 days.  We had a lot of trouble with him bloating and not eating for a couple months but we finally got that under control.  We had to take him off grain for 1 week and feed only grass hay.  Then we started him back on a heifer ration slowly.  We now finally got him eating 20# a day of a steer mix top dressed with 8 oz 2 times a day of m-n-m from show-rite.  His grain is 12% protein, 4% fat, 8% fiber.the top dress is 21% protein, 7% fat.  He has all the barley hay he can eat. Finishes all 20# of grain a day. He hasn't been bloating. Once a day we feed him 2oz of cake yeast.  That has helped with the bloating. 31 days ago I weighed him and today I weighed him again, no change!  He has been on all the same feed and supplement for the last 31 days.  Also I poured him with cydectin in December.  ANY suggestions.  Would bloating have damaged anything to make him not gain. 

goodnight

When is your show? What does he weigh now? Is he finished or still growing? We probably need to know this to give you advice. Here are some starters.

1) Wouldn't hurt to worm him again. Watch withdrawal times.

2) Bloating will slow them down. But, I was able to get calves that bloated to gain, but 2.0# per day is about tops for what you want to do with them after the bloat. This calf is eating, so I think it is more a function of the fact that he is getting close to being finished.

3) Surechamp. Get some and start them on it.

hsShowCattle

He is at 1120#.  County fair is Aug 6th. State fair is Aug 21st.  The pic attached was taken today.  I think he needs to put more weight on just starting to get the fat pockets by tail head.

Attachments

• IMG_20140618_144620_443-1.jpg
    IMG_20140618_144620_443-1.jpg
    280.8 KB · Views: 258

hsShowCattle

This is him three weeks ago.

Attachments

• IMG_20140525_142618_268-1-1.jpg
    IMG_20140525_142618_268-1-1.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 216
  • IMG_20140620_232908.jpg
    IMG_20140620_232908.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 262

vc

I would weigh him at the same time of day each time. You may have weighed him full the first time and empty the second as well as was it the same scale both times?
You can have as much as an 80 pound swing from full to empty.
I would also put him on stabilized rice bran to get some fat on him.
Can I ask what the amount (oz,lbs) is of the top dress and why you are top dressing with the high protein, at this time I would be giving more fat in a (the stabilized rice bran) top dress and not as much protein.

hsShowCattle

It was the same scale. We have one at the farm.  Honestly I'm feeding the top dress because that's what the rep from show rite recommended.  He is getting 16 oz a day of the m-n-m.

cowman 52

Forgive me, I tend to be of an older school,  take all the additives and forget them for a while.  Sounds like the gut was stressed to the limit and I know you want to push but try coasting for a few days the appetite might kick in, he could start attacking the feed rather than just eating. The worst thing in a cow ration is a bunch of fines,  try a coarser ration and see what happens. 
Just a thought.

goodnight

hsShowCattle said:
He is at 1120#.  County fair is Aug 6th. State fair is Aug 21st.  The pic attached was taken today.  I think he needs to put more weight on just starting to get the fat pockets by tail head.

1. Worm him. I would use a drench like valbazen.

2. He needs body, cover, and muscle. He should be at 1225, or so for your show. Start on stabilized rice bran, sure champ, and I would cut out the other supplement.

3. I would consider filler in a couple of weeks.

4. If this were my sons calf, I would feed him explosion by sunglo. It has optaflexx, but it is perfect for this calf.

You can get there, but you need to get him going now. You have plenty of time.

RyanChandler

hsShowCattle said:
Honestly I'm feeding the top dress because that's what the rep from show rite recommended.  He is getting 16 oz a day of the m-n-m.

I bet he did.

Cowman hit it on the head- ditch all that other crap until you have him eating 30+lbs of feed. Why no one has mentioned this I'm not sure but that steer needs to be eating 50% more grain than what you have him on. 

cowman 52

The show feed world is FILLED with the next champion in a tube, bottle, a drench, an envelope.  The only thing they will do is cost you money number 1,being of a use ain't in the top 10.

hsShowCattle

I have increased his feed and will take him off the m-n-m.  I will pour him with cydectin tonight.  Gonna weigh him this weekend and hopefully he has done a little gaining. 

SlickTxMaine

He looks a little wrung out to me.  He needs to be freshened up, but this is probably due to the stomach issues/ decreased appetite.  Ditch the protein supplement as already mentioned.  Worm him. Get his feed consumption up, and also add the Stabilized Rice Bran.  It's a fat supplement; intended for high performance horses, but really does a good job on show steers.  Next year, start off with SureChamp and feed all the way thru.  Keeps them healthy and on feed.  Good luck and keep us posted on your outcome. 

hsShowCattle

I bought some 'empower' stabilized rice bran 22% fat.  Ditched the protein supplement. And am letting him eat as much grain as he will.  He ate 28# yesterday. I also poured him with cydectin.  I will continue to weigh him and at the same time of day.  Thanks to all of you for all your help. I appreciate it!