Help! Ringworm

Help Support Steer Planet:

Ohio1

A steer we have has 2 spots of ring worm a little bigger than a quarter and I need to know the best ways to treat it? Thanks!

leanbeef

I use koppertox...just squirt it on the spot & soak it. Same stuff you use to treat hoof rot. Ringworm is a fungus, so any anti-fungal treatment will prob work.

Ohio1

leanbeef said:
I use koppertox...just squirt it on the spot & soak it. Same stuff you use to treat hoof rot. Ringworm is a fungus, so any anti-fungal treatment will prob work.
Thanks for the reply I will look into that

pds

We had ring worm cover a calf this year. we tried vetrycin gel for awhile and saw some results then we switched to MTG and the scabs and scales came right off and the hair started to pop through very quik. We used it for about 2 weeks then switched to something with more oil to it just to keep the skin moist. When you spray it on them it will smell like something is burning but it will get it started.

RuffoniSistersCattle

We just got over a bad case of fungus with our pen of show steers last month. We have them penned in groups of two and three and in the pen of two one calf acquired fungus. When we saw one calf had the fungus we started washing all calves with sullivans anti fungual shampoo as a preventative and bleached walls and fences and rope halters daily. We treated the calf that had spots of fungus with envirosep aerosal twice a day as well as sprayed him down with sullivans fungus fighter spray directly on the spots. We were able to see a difference and hair groth in five days. As well as no other calves have gotten it. While the other calf had it we washed and blew out the other steers and sprayed antifungal spray in their hair and blew it in. :) Good luck!! Hope this helps. We use this remedy for all our club lambs and steers

Attachments

• envirosep.jpg
    envirosep.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 405

rf21970

We have had great results by aggressively scraping the affected area and applying nu stock cream. http://www.nustock.com/ Its sulfur based so I'm sure there are a number of similar products out there. New hair growth in just a few days.

PinkOil Princess

I personally would not use blue kote or koppertox for ringworm. I had a steer bring home ringworm from a jackpot and it spread to the other steer in his pen, fluid film works well an will stay on your calf longer to dry out ringworm. The products I found that worked in about 3 days to kill ringworm are "fungus fighter" and "fungal" from Sullivan Supply. I also bleached the pen and barn just to keep the fungus from spreading but that is up to you.