Help! Show heifer break in

Help Support Steer Planet:

Annieboon

Hi all
I am breaking in a cracking heifer for a July show, and having a lot of trouble with getting he to stand still tied and while working, when I tie her up brush up one side the move to her other side she always swings around and doesn't stand still, when I walk her and go to stop her she does stop then when I go to set her up she just walks over the top of me! Have seen people's animals standing still whe they are being blown, washed etc. but not sure how to train them to do this.

Somone please help!!!!!!

Thanks heaps

Bradenh

As far as the washing/blowing/combing jitters just put 2 t-posts in the ground about 30 inches apart at the depth of right behind her shoulder and she will learn to stand still

And don't stop when she acts up make Her end on a good note

shortyjock89

Cut lengths of pvc or conduit with caps to put over the tposts, I've seen pictures of what happens when a calf jumps and lands on one  without covering.

vc

As far as standing when set up, a tap to the the nose when she tries to walk over you should break her of that. I would find her sweet spot with the show stick, seems like every calf has a different spot that just makes them relax, some it the brisket, other it is the chest between the legs, some the navel. Each calf has a spot and some spot that when you scratch it they get upset. Find hers and life should get easier.
We make them set up prior to turn out, the faster they set and stand the faster they get turned out, my youngest always seemed to be able to put a calf to sleep with the stick, he had one of our calves stick trained before we ever put a halter on him, he always seems to find their spot.

knabe

One doesn't need to tap cattle. All one needs to do is find the tipping points to get cattle to move off of you. If you have the halter on, a show stick, a tight lead and a whole host of other crutches, it's hard to understand cattle.