Help with Blue Roan Bulls

Help Support Steer Planet:

brucattle

Hi i am new but really like the blue roan color! I have looked at different Blue Roan Bulls and there isnt much to pick from. I tried Rainmaker but this sull Flat Good in the Livestock plus mag has me interested too! He is an even Blue roan out of sull Tamale and Sull Blue. After investigating Tamale is a heatwave daughter and Sull blue the sire, is a Df vegas out of a sull stockman 365 cow. Trausch Farms has him! He is just over a year old so not proven but i think good genetics! What else is out there and what is peoples opinions on Flat Good. He is a maternal brother to hot Tamale and Hot Tamale Too. Also related to Sull Breathless i believe! Thanks and if you like Flat Good what kinda cow would he work good on! I have black maine angus cross cows and a few blue roan maine cows! Like i said not to many Blue roan bulls so i am willing to try unproven!

Davidsonranch

Someone mentioned this bull on a post I had.  Do you have any pics of him or where we could find pics of the Sull Flat Good bull?  When my kids were wanting a roan we were looking heavily at OCC's Blue Moon. 

renegadelivestock

i have seen some pretty cool indian outlaw calves that were blue, also you have a pretty good shot of getting blue calves if you use a roan shorty bull on your black cows

brucattle

As far as a picture on sull flat good i found him on page 87 in the livestock plus magazine in the April 01 2012 edition! After investigating further i found him on Maternallegends sullivan no bull sale! www.maternal legends.com  lot 101 You can youtube him too on that site! It was actually the video that got me the most interested! He moves freely good deep body and spring of rib. Nice front end! I think any way! Don't roast me to bad if i don't know what i am talking about! If someone knows how to bring that lot 101 picture to the discussion please do! I am not that good with computers! As far as breeding Blue roans i agree white shorthorn bulls on black cows, but i have had extremely good luck with blue bulls on black cows and extremely good luck with Blue Bulls on Blue cows! At least i know this happened with Rain Maker on my cows  just playing around!  But Xbar is right about the white shorthorn i heard that lots! I will look at Indian outlaw and Blue Moon as well! I just liked The nice even Blue of Sull Flat Good and his picture! Plus he does have some nice winning females in his genetics! Those pictures were in the Maternallegends as well with his picture!

KSUwildcat2009

-XBAR- said:
what are the % using a roan bull versus a white bull?... of getting a blue roan out of black cows

Assuming the black cow is IRIR at MGF (roan locus) and is EE at MC1R (black/red), a roan bull will give roan calves 50% of the time while a white bull will give roan cows calves 100% of the time.  

KSUwildcat2009

Exactly.  One thing to remember though is the chances of getting "spotted" roans vs "true" roans.  Coat color is complex and sometimes white bulls carry spots and can throw splotchy roans.  At least this is my current understanding of all things coat color...  That being said, on purebred Angus cows and my guess is about half of Maine-Angus cross cows, you should not have a problem with this too bad, probably will get white bellies. The heavy Maine influence blue females will be a littl bit of a crapshoot I'm guessing. 

cpubarn

My favorite cross is a white bull on a black cow with a little white, doesn't take much.  All sorts of color will come......

Good luck!

Mark

brucattle

Thanks  the general consesus seems to be using a white bull on black cows. But i have had lots of luck breeding blue bulls to my blue cows also.  I did post a picture of Flat Good since he seemed to be not known! He is the type of Blue roan i like an even blue roan! I have some cows like him and they really stand out! So maybe i will try him on my Blue roan cows and a few Blacks to see what happens. According to Trausch the worst thing will be a black calf! Not so bad either! But i must admit i did get blue Roans out of my Black cows using a Blue roan Bull so it does happen! Its a crapshoot at best! Thanks

brucattle

I just Realized something about breeding blues!  Obviously Breeding Blue Bulls on Black cows can produce Blue Roans by just looking at Flat Good! His sire Sull Blue was a Blue Roan and his dam was a Black Cow! So this does work as Sull Flat Good is a Blue Roan! It Probably isn't 100 percent and maybe not as successfull as a white shorthorn on a black cow but it is an option especially if you can't find a white bull you like! Thank! I probably just stated the obvious that you allready knew! Thanks

KSUwildcat2009

The genetics of coat colors are really cool!  At least I think so, maybe I"m a major nerd  ;D  There's been a lot of discussion on here about blues and smokes and all sorts of stuff, so if you're really interested in digging deeper, do a quick search on here or Google and you should get a lot of information!

rthomas

I am new to this website but i felt i had to jump in on this one! I have been breeding Blue Roans for awhile and have had Good luck with it! With the clubby thing it is hard to do without the shorthorn or maine influence. Brucattle is right a blue roan bull can and will produce Blue Roans on Blue roan cows and black cows. Not all the time but does work! So this is an option if you don't want to do the norm of the white shorthorn bull on a black cow!