Help With Breaking a Steer

Help Support Steer Planet:

mmudd

I need so help with breaking a show steer. This is my second year showing and i didnt have any trouble last year breaking my steer. This year i got my steer in august and he was unbroke. I broke him with no problem and he was acting fine. In Dec. I took him to a show and he showed and acted perfectly fine. Since than he has acted fine. I am going to a show here in about a week, so i was going to start practice setting my steer up again for the upcoming show in Feb. He acted like he didnt want to lead so i tugged on his halter pretty hard and he would not move. Finally he did move, but it was at a dead sprint and i could not hold on to the halter. For the past week now i have been trying to get him to lead agian but he just keeps running away from me. I cant seem to hold on to him. I was hoping that someone could help me understand why he did this and if anyone has any ideas on how to re-break him agian because he is not acting right?? Thank You..

CANsteer

to be honest, your mistake was not walking him in between these times, they can be a real pain if you haven't done anything with them for a while. have someone tail him for you when you walk, it should help or you could put him on a donkey.

leanbeef

It's not really that "normal" for a calf to start acting like that after he's been to a show. Usually, after getting one out and letting him see all the commotion at a show, they're easier to get along with. The problem with this calf now is that he did get away from you, and once they figure out they CAN do that, some of them will do it just because they can. You have to figure out some way to break him of getting away and erase that from his list of things he thinks he can get away with if possible.

My recommendation is to tie him high and short and brush and comb him...blow him...scratch him. Do anything he likes. Earn his trust back again. Spend some time with him in situations where there is no possible way he can run away from you. Have somebody lead him who can hold him. Maybe put two leads on him until he learns (or thinks) he can't get away from you either. Start leading him in very small, enclosed areas...stalls, sheds, etc. where you can stop him if he tries to break. Keep him close to a wall or fence line, and if he acts like he's going to run, turn him into the wall so he has to stop. A donkey or a tractor is the only thing that can hold him and make him walk if you can't get through to him this way.

Good luck. I had a steer like this one time and I HATED him! He would get away every time I untied him, run until I caught him, and then lead like a puppy dog. I showed his full brother the next year and he was nothing but a show puppy...he LOVED it! Just the differences in calves...just like people are different. Once they learn to get away from you, they can be really tough. I wouldn't even NOT consider a new calf if that's at all possible...but I don't think he's a lost cause if you can figure out a way to handle him. Don't let him keep getting away from you or you'll never get him broke from that.

mmudd

Thanks guys for the advice. i really appreciate it... I had a buddy come over today who has been showing his whole life and lead him. He tried running away but he stopped him the first time and the steer has been perfectly fine all day today. He acted like he never had a problem at all. I dont know if it was just a phase or something but we took him and clipped him today and we was wonderful. Thanks again for the advice.

leanbeef

mmudd said:
Thanks guys for the advice. i really appreciate it... I had a buddy come over today who has been showing his whole life and lead him. He tried running away but he stopped him the first time and the steer has been perfectly fine all day today. He acted like he never had a problem at all. I dont know if it was just a phase or something but we took him and clipped him today and we was wonderful. Thanks again for the advice.

That's good to hear! Make sure you're mindful about him, though. He's likely to try it again at some point, especially if he thinks he can actually get away. He may be waiting for YOU to take the halter or to catch somebody with his guard down...I wouldn't take him for granted. He's likely to try that kinda stuff from now on.

Glad you got him roped him for the time being though. That's very encouraging!