Help with my steer

Help Support Steer Planet:

peanut12

Hey yall. I am new on here and just need to ask a few questions about my steer that I am showing this year. We had our county fair weigh in a couple weeks ago and he weighed in at 700 lbs. I was hoping he would be 150 lbs heavier than that. he was eating about 18lbs a day, but not always finishing it so I didnt increase. our target show is at the end of july and I am afraid he isnt going to get big enough. I have had a couple people tell me to put him on free choice feed to keep him full all the time. I have tried this for about two weeks and he actuially seems to eat less....a supplement called fastrak and sure champ pellets have been suggested, are these the same thing? can they be fed together? which is better than the other? we are feeding him umbarger cattle blaster and barley base, about a 2:1 ratio blaster to barley. would a b12 shot help him out? one other thing that worries me is his excremement is VERY solid, almost like a horse which tells me he is constipated or not getting enough feed. I hope a few experts take the time to read this and have some helpful hints. If we dont get him back on track, he wont be big enough come fair time and that will be bad. thanks in advance for any opinions!

Ms Ray

you can try giving a pro-biotic for a few days and see if that helps, there is also appetite express that sullivans sells it comes in a paest form or a powdered form you can put on their feed.  When ours get picky we will pull them off grain for a feeding and just give them hay, they are usually looking for the grain the next feeding

cowman 52

Keep in mind that it takes about 21/2 percent to just maintain body weight, a calf needs to eat 3percent to gain and more depending on his ability. Figure also it takes 6to 7 pounds of feed for a pound of gain, so before you go feed additive nuts, make sure your feed is on track.
A cow stomach works a whole lot better operating at capacity, rather than 1/2 capacity.  Work on that part of your feed program, and then see what you need to do.
One more idea, the dairy people figured out if they put water on the feed, milk fat went up, so you know that water aids palatability, so file that away for use later.

farmmom73

I had a very similar issue with my son's steer.  He was eating just not finishing his feed so I would not increase it until he did.  Changed the ration and added VitaFerm, still he just didn't go after it like he should.  I was getting worried that he was not ever going to get to finished weight.  Then I added competition.  I stopped tying him by himself and just put feed in a bunk where the heifers are eating.  He is now gaining like a madman.  If you have that option, if you have other cattle that you can put in with him, it might help.

jd438

I am not familiar with that feed. How much fiber does it have?  Is he getting any hay.  Good clean water supply. 
Does he sort his feed at all?  How many feedings a day?