Help with tail problems!

Help Support Steer Planet:

Have an animal that is loosing her tail hair... is there anyway to glue via adhesives, etc. that back on? kept the strands of hair. Show coming up this week, any suggestions appreciated!

I-69cc

Try to find someone who will let you trim there horses tail or main Ive seen it used on calf with rat tails just use tail adhesive and form your tail and paint it. Good luck hope it helps!

Boot Jack Bulls

Horse tail hair works great because it is so strait and coarse. I have found that it works well if you part the existing tail head hair, lightly glue up the ends the horse hair, and place it in the void. Put in about one inch sections at a time and pull the sides back up and glue into place. It definitely helps to have an extra set of hands helping out. You should practice in advance to get a feel for it (probably minus clipping it up and loosing more hair) and  see how much hair you would like to put in. You can go from very natural and minimal to a crazy cool fin. It just depends what works for the animal and what you are comfortable with. Also, make sure you check your rules and regs. Some breeds only allow you to add hair to the switch and some shows limit exactly how much fitting can be done. Hope this helps.

Thank you both for the ideas, Boot Jack Bulls, did you use any special glue to do this or just a standard prime time or tail adhesive?

afhm

LaquaLivestock said:
Have an animal that is loosing her tail hair... is there anyway to glue via adhesives, etc. that back on? kept the strands of hair. Show coming up this week, any suggestions appreciated!

Are you referring to her switch?  If so is her tail limp?  She might have tail mites which are killing her tail and causing the hair to fal out.  Pour some cydectin or wormer of choice down her tail to stop them.

Boot Jack Bulls

LaquaLivestock said:
Thank you both for the ideas, Boot Jack Bulls, did you use any special glue to do this or just a standard prime time or tail adhesive?

Just prime time. Tail adhesive can turn it into a sticky mess in a hurry and in this case, less is probably more. I would say though that when you are ready to clip it off and perhaps paint over it, setting it with a good coat of prime time is a good idea. If you do pour on wormer, just remember that it will make a serious mess if you get it on the tail head and try to fit it up within a couple days. Louse powder might also help and cause less of a funky mess. Good Luck!

OH Breeder

do they make weaves for cows? often wondered when women get hair extensions glued in why couldn't you do the same thing with a tail? You can wash brush etc and it doesn't come out.

Boot Jack Bulls

OH Breeder said:
do they make weaves for cows? often wondered when women get hair extensions glued in why couldn't you do the same thing with a tail? You can wash brush etc and it doesn't come out.
LOL! You might be on to something there! O0

The Show

I've had to do this before too. We used some pieces of hair that we had already clipped off the calf with some tail adhesive. If the calf is black though I would use horse hair because you could paint it. Sullivans sells small bundles of it. I prefer to use a sharp pair of scissors to clip it, you can get by with a blocking blade but your gonna have so much paint and glue it'll be tough to get a good clean clean.