HELP!

Help Support Steer Planet:

WFCC

i need some advice.  We have had 4 cows abort this fall, and have tried to put emrbyo's in or AI 4 cows for fall breeding and nothing has stuck!  These are cows that have stuck first time AI every year! Some cows are on stalks, some cows are not.  We have no mold in our hay and our vaccinations are right on track.  any suggestions?

CAB

4 abortions out of how many head of total cows? Did they all 4 abort in a short time period or over a longer period of time?

WFCC

we called the vet he is puzzle becuase our vaccination process is so good! we treat for bvd 3 times, and that has lepto in that vaccination.  We run 60 cows, and have had poor conception rate and 4 abortions this year only.  This was the first year we frost seeded clover behind wheat and turned cows out onto that.  i have heard that really good lush clover has a toxin in the stem that decreses fertility.  any thoughts?

shorthorngirl2010

Only throwing this out there because some people in our area have had a TERRIBLE time with it... Have your bulls been trich tested (if you run herd/clean up bulls)?

If you live somewhere around Pine Trees, and your cows have gotten into Pine Needles that will make them abort.

DL

WFCC said:
we called the vet he is puzzle becuase our vaccination process is so good! we treat for bvd 3 times, and that has lepto in that vaccination.  We run 60 cows, and have had poor conception rate and 4 abortions this year only.  This was the first year we frost seeded clover behind wheat and turned cows out onto that.  i have heard that really good lush clover has a toxin in the stem that decreses fertility.  any thoughts?

Vaccinations are not 100% - just because you vaccinate doesn't mean one of the bugs you vaccinate for isn't the cause of the abortion -

Do you vaccinate for Lepto hardjo bovis?
Did you save any tissue from the aborted calves?
Are you sure you don't have trich?

IMHO you have 2 problems that may or may not be related - abortions (at what stage?) and poor conception - any chance you can get someone with an interest in solving problems - ie extension vet - out to see what they can do?

WFCC

ya we tripple vaccinated for bova shield 5L and we are going to use the newer bova shield this spring.  i think we have it figured out that it was the clover that was making our conception rates go way low! i appreciate all the help!

Latest posts