help

Help Support Steer Planet:

COLEBABIE

well after our first year of showing i have to say it has been great and we have learned so much, most of it being on this board. I would like to ask this question, we have 11 days till show and the steer has gone off feed somewhat i have him eating about 10 lbs twice a day now where he was eating 14 lbs twice a day, has some loose stools very fould smelling i know that probably sound funny but i mean this doesnt smell like regular cow -----! so my wonderful breeders told us what to use which were sulfa bolus last week and we tried that and yes his appetite is somewhat better however still not what it should be and still has loose stools , the sulfa bolus says that it has a 12 day withdrawl is there anything else i can give him that has a shorter withdrawl.  We feed one block hay a day, and i have gave him two doses of probios! any help or input would be appreciated! thanks so much,  i just like to know what others have tried that worked. thanks

COLEBABIE

Well, I got home this morning and calf has ate all his food, looks as though he feels much better, guess it just took a couple of days for the sulfa bolus to kick in, the poop was smelling normal too!HAHA (clapping), I still would like to hear what others have to say about this though, any opinion or advice is welcome thanks again

shortyjock89

A probiotic like ProBios, or even just a few ounces of brewer's yeast in his feed for a couple days can usually get their belly feeling right again. Sometimes they just have weird poop for a couple days, might even be because of the weather or one plant in their hay upset their stomach.

DCC show cattle

You possibly started to burn his rumen due to high energy and lower volumes of ruffages. By consuming lower amounts of feed he allowed for his rumen PH level to balance. If this happens again pull his feed, double his hay, and lower you fat level until he is back to normal. PM me on some probiotic mineral that we feed and is great!

SlickTxMaine

Son's steer did the same thing right before our show.  I think they get pushed so much, and usually trying to get finish on them at the end, their guts get burned up.  We increased hay and gave probios every other day for about a week.  He got back to normal.  I know what you mean about the foul smelling runs!!