Herd building question

Help Support Steer Planet:

jsmyers

I’ve been in the market for a couple replacement bred cows since I had to cull 2 over the summer. I had one neighbor guy offer me 4 of his cows from his show herd and since my budget is what it is he offered me to put half down and the other half after the first of the year. I like those cows but I’ll have to borrow some money until I sell some calves. Then another guy heard I was looking and told he he had 2 older cows that are bred for later calves because he flushed them after calving, they are decent cows but not registered and he wants to flush them one more time.
The nice thing about those cows are they are under budget just not exactly ideal since they’ll calve late and he wants another flush so that means I’ll probably have to hold them over. My question is is it better to go over budget to get what you think could turn into a better deal or come in under budget to get something that’ll work and will allow me to expand again next year but is less ideal?

jsmyers

My biggest concern with them is that they are 11 and they won’t calve until may so if he wants to flush after so I’ll probably have to hold them over.

RyanChandler

Find the cow(s) that serve your purpose and then find a way to buy them. If you can find a way to buy 10, buy 10– If only 1, then buy one.  Compromising quality for quantity is a huge mistake. 

beebe

I agree with X Bar.  Cattle business is too slow to work with average cattle.