Here we go again!!! Winter isn't willing to give it up yet

Help Support Steer Planet:

SWMO

Be prepared for those of you East of Missouri.

Once again we are having Thunder Lightening and a whole lot of rain.  And now it is starting to sleet opps no it is now snowing like crazy.  Really fun to calve in.  March is certainly coming in like a Lion. 

red

We are to get to 65 today & then all "H" will break loose. Supposed to be a complete mixed bag of precipiation. They are calling for about 2" of rain or whatever. Worse thing is tomorrow is our primarys. I hope we have a good voter turn out despite the weather.

Red

justme

Up in NW MO we were wonderful until yesterday afternoon and as Red said all "H" broke loose.  Temps dropped to fast and we had rain turn to ice then about 2" of snow.  Man I hate winter.  Let's hope the adage of March comes in like a Lion and out like a lamb is true.  Our buses are on blacktop only until further notice, cann't get my car home due to muddy road, and the ruts are over my knees in the road right now.  OF COURSE we have a bunch of cows ready to pop.  Never fails!

cattlejunky

::)Oh I am so tired of extreme temperature change.  Yesterday was beautiful!  SUN!!!! in the 60's nice breeze.  No wonder our sinuses are all messed up.

Jill

It was 70 here yesterday by the evening it was 40 and it is now 28 with a wind chill of 14, got an inch and a half of rain last night, just thankful it wasn't snow.

common sense

Does anyone remember the scene in the movie "A Christmas Story" where the father is in the basement trying to fix the coal furnace?  Yeah, well his comments about that old coal furnace are my sentiments about this weather/winter! 

red

we dropped 15 degrees last night in 2 hours.
This morning we have ice, ice, ice. The river is way up. We're expected to get up to 3" of rain or whatever you call it!

Red

red

all I can say is YUCK!!!!!!

Red

Attachments

• 100_1864.jpg
    100_1864.jpg
    135.9 KB · Views: 371

AAOK

Monday - 67 degrees for the high
Tuesday - Rained all night 3" - Woke up to 2" of snow - high of 62 in the afternoon
Wednesday - Sunny, high of 65 - Sleet and snow mix predicted by morning
Thursday Forecast - Light snow by 9am, turning heavy in the afternoon - 5" to 8"
Friday Forecast - Morning low 25 with Snow Showers - high of 44 degrees by 3pm, partly Sunny
Weekend - Sunny, highs in the upper 50s - low 60s

Pretty Tipical for March in Oklahoma!!!

JbarL

72 to 80 here the last few days... ;)...but as usual i have winter pilgramage to the frozen land....next week..... (clapping)...last year was week after valentines day.....about 7 degrees.....and it had warmed up from -12 the week before...this year.....well ive been watchin' the mud.....and more mud......and big rains yesterday got the rivers up....snow pridicted this weekend for cols?...looking forward to expo next weekend....great to see folks.and get "home"...but boythe weather is just simply crazy....i believe an april frost last year???    no springs or no falls as i remember....of the "old days"....( hholly cow i can actually say that now)...seemed like in ohio  the "winter"  was nov dec....always snow by thatnkgiving....ready to plant( garden)  late march...and of couarse the "peach tress"....late frost would desimate the local peaches....biggest concern with late frosts...( as i recall).....now it seems either the peach trees ( hybryd"s)  have more  volitility and it isnt an issue anymore.......but then again grandpa did pretty well with his berries and peaches ;)    :D...ah the good ole days...looking forward to the expo next weekend...hope to see some of you all there....j brrrrrrrrrrr l

red

still have thick ice coating everything. I'm really afraid I'm going to loss several trees. We're expected to get more snow tomorrow. Wonder where that groundhog is now?

Red

justintime

I will take my -30 over your ice and mud any day thanks. We had a nice week about 10 days ago where it got into the 30s most everyday. Last weekend it turned cold again and I am really getting tired.... like tired from not sleeping much because of having to check for babies in the night, and tired of this cold weather.The last two nights were retarded... it was close to -30 last night.  I heard this morning that we have one more day of cold then it is supposed to get more seasonal, with temps in the mid 30s.

Whenever I travel into the Midwest US in this time of year, I often wonder how you keep calves alive. I have been to places where cows are to their bellies in mud... and that is not just in the yards, but in the pastures.  Here we think we have it bad if we get two weeks of wet muddy weather. You folks put up with 2 or 3 months of mud.... or more. At least here, I can bed the cows down and it will stay dry unless it snows again, which it hasn't done much this winter. I am ready for green grass!

SWMO

Well, we are swimming in mud and it has not been a fun calving season.  We syncronized to calve this weekend.  Consequently this has been the week from H!  Tomorrow night is supposed to be 15.  Cow has to been really good and smart to save one in this country at that temp with the ground as wet as it is and the wind howling as it has seemed to do all winter.

For some reason our older cows don't seem to be cleaning the calves up very good and they are getting chilled.  Because of the mud we have had to alter the calving pasture and the cows don't seem very happy about it (acting much more nervous than normal).  I think they are as much creatures of habit as we are.

We are certainly ready for Sunday here.  Weather is finally supposed to moderate by then.  Spring can't get here soon enough.  And yes I am WHINING 8). 

Jill

Ditto on that, we had a guy from St. Louis come in today, said they had 10 inches of snow did you get any of that?

cowz

mud, ice, mud, ice, mud, ice.....snow....nuflor!!!.....mud, ice,mud, ice.....What did that dang Groundhog say last month????

UPS man wouldn't come down the road to the house today.......Chicken!!!! :D

justme

its been 2 weeks since buses or UPS man came down our road.  My poor car is uptown, couldn't make it thru the ruts.  Ruts are now over knee deep.  Once again....Where's spring?????

justintime

If the ground hog sees his shadow, we will have 6 more weeks of winter. If he doesn't see his shadow we will only have a month and a half.

fluffer

red said:
WARNING WARNING - white death approching Ohio!!!!!

:))) ::) ::) ???

No kidding, I have heard up to 13 inches with 5 foot snow drifts by Saturday evening where I live- North of Dayton.  Oh, and did I mention that we have 30 cows all due 3/15,(so far we have had 6) and we calve them out in a pasture and woods by our house.  We may end up with a bunch of cold babies in our house  :)

On the up side, I am in the Grocery business, so let it snow, let it snow, let it snow  ;)

Fluffer