Hereford Questions Again!

Help Support Steer Planet:

Simmgal

I am about to A.I. a group of Herefords this season and was wanting some final opinions about the following bulls. These are the only ones I have and I am trying to clean out my tank. I would just like to know what types of calves you have had out of these bulls for show ring phenotype, frame and general appearance. Which of these would be good for making a good show calf? Any info on what style of cow they wrk best with or general progeny reports. Thanks for your time!  (thumbsup)

Purple Womanizer (Thinking about using on a taller cow that already looks pretty flashy. Just would like to keep some show phenotype and maybe add a little width)
Purple Currency (Was going to use on a shorter, stouter cow for a show calf)
STAR OBF Bogart (Using on two plainer females to get decent looking animals for replacements. Both are of moderate frame)
PW Victor Boomer P606 (Using on a shorter cow for a replacement animal  that might look decent)
DB Hard Drive ET (Wasn't sure what to use him on so he will be back up. Just have him available)

Aussie

Simmgal said:
I am about to A.I. a group of Herefords this season and was wanting some final opinions about the following bulls. These are the only ones I have and I am trying to clean out my tank. I would just like to know what types of calves you have had out of these bulls for show ring phenotype, frame and general appearance. Which of these would be good for making a good show calf? Any info on what style of cow they wrk best with or general progeny reports. Thanks for your time!  (thumbsup)

Purple Womanizer (Thinking about using on a taller cow that already looks pretty flashy. Just would like to keep some show phenotype and maybe add a little width)
STAR OBF Bogart (Using on two plainer females to get decent looking animals for replacements. Both are of moderate frame)FWIW I like this bull a lot
PW Victor Boomer P606 (Using on a shorter cow for a replacement animal  that might look decent)
DB Hard Drive ET (Wasn't sure what to use him on so he will be back up. Just have him available)

Simmgal

Aussie said:
Simmgal said:

STAR OBF Bogart (Using on two plainer females to get decent looking animals for replacements. Both are of moderate frame)FWIW I like this bull a lot

Thanks for the input! What types of cows do you use him on? What body type do his calves tend to have?

Simmgal

Twoboysfarm said:
I'm a huge currency fan. Bred him to a moderate framed cow and it worked well
Thanks for the info! So you wouldn't exactly want to breed him to a taller, framier cow?

KSanburg

Well, I have never used any of them so take this for what it is worth (nothing), from what I have seen of the offspring of these bulls, I would use Hard Drive, Womanizer and Currency. I thought that Hard Drive bred some very nice show cattle, and I saw more of them then any of the other you mention, then womanizer and currency both seemed to stamp them pretty well. This being said I don't know anything about the other bulls in your list so that doesn't make them bad, just unsure of what they are.

Simmgal

Mtnman said:
Well, I have never used any of them so take this for what it is worth (nothing), from what I have seen of the offspring of these bulls, I would use Hard Drive, Womanizer and Currency. I thought that Hard Drive bred some very nice show cattle, and I saw more of them then any of the other you mention, then womanizer and currency both seemed to stamp them pretty well. This being said I don't know anything about the other bulls in your list so that doesn't make them bad, just unsure of what they are.
Thanks for the info! How were the Hard Drives for frame!

KSanburg

Simmgal said:
Mtnman said:

Large by todays standards, but I would rather have them a little large than to small, especiqally if your going to keep them and breed them.

Simmgal

Mtnman said:
Simmgal said:
Mtnman said:

Large by todays standards, but I would rather have them a little large than to small, especiqally if your going to keep them and breed them.

Ok thanks. Does he add depth? Which do you like better out of Hard Drive or Currency?

Sorry I have so many questions..it's been a while since I've messed with Herefords!

KSanburg

Simmgal said:
Mtnman said:
Simmgal said:
Mtnman said:

Ok thanks. Does he add depth? Which do you like better out of Hard Drive or Currency?

Sorry I have so many questions..it's been a while since I've messed with Herefords!

I liked the hard drives and by my thoughts had plenty of depth, probably currency is a better choice for today's showring with a touch more power.

Rockefeller

Hard Drive is gonna give you bigger bw but the cattle are made real good, he will add power and bone but can negatively impact your epd profile. have had a couple real good ones outta him, even won our state fair with one of them, but pedigree buyers won't be eager to buy them
Currency will power em up and hair em up, needs a cow with little longer front, real good bull, really like his calves, will make good males & females
Womanizer will work too, adds butt & belly, seen some real good ones, calves grow real well
P606 can be hit & miss from what I've seen, was used real heavily few years back, don't see too many anymore
Bogart is the one I'm unfamiliar with, I think he'll give you a nice pedigree if you got guys looking for that
Good luck

Twoboysfarm

Simmgal said:
Twoboysfarm said:
I'm a huge currency fan. Bred him to a moderate framed cow and it worked well
Thanks for the info! So you wouldn't exactly want to breed him to a taller, framier cow?
From my experience i would not but thats not to say it wouldn't work just hasnt matched up with my taller cows like the moderate cow. He is a great bull 100%