Hi Ho Silver Calves

Help Support Steer Planet:

Buck

As they are beginning to grow and develop what does everyone think of their Hi Ho silver calves? Had a couple born this Fall and just wanted to get some opinions.

DSC

I have one that I bought and I think he will be pretty nice for the family I bought him for. However I have talked to a lot of the big time traders that have went through thousands of calves this fall. They all have said the same thing that they are questionable on their structure. They are saying that the Alias is breeding through real strong. BUT just like everything there are exceptions to the rule and there are some good sound ones out there. This is just what I have heard.

Buck

Thanks for your reply. Your comments pretty much match my experience. I have vowed before to never again breed to an unproven bull. Should have learned my lesson by now. It's on me!

Buck

I will also say that I realize that 50% of the genetics or DNA of any mating comes from the cow.

DSC

LOL. I always say I will never use an unproven one again and then breeding season rolls around and I find my self thinking about it again. I did good this year though. No unproven bulls....  (clapping)

ATM OH

Overall I really like the calves we had out of HHS. Ours were sound and good disposition. I would say if I'm going to knock him he might make them a little too compact and chunky. Those are the easy ones to sell but doesnt always translate into finishing well. Time will tell. There are definitely a lot worse options out there.

Buck

The picture that was posted looks like a sure nice one and your comments are encouraging. I ordered a cane of semen on him and planned to breed some cows to him this Fall. As you can tell I am disappointed in the two we have but obviously don't have him pared up to the right cows. I think I have a better understanding of what type of cows to breed him to and have made adjustments in our breeding list this Fall. Thank everyone for their input.

HMF

What kind of cows has he been working best on, alias always worked good on my cows.  Also what have the birth weights been like on him?

Buck

Heifer out of a Simmy cow was 86#. Bull out of a WMW x Meyer 734 cow 98#.