High priced steers

Help Support Steer Planet:

Squeek

Just a quick question for you all:  How can someone spend extreme amounts of money ( in this case we will say $30,000+ ) on a steer and expect to come out on top? I realize their are numerous jackpots and most midwest state fairs top that in their sale of champions but not every one of these calves makes it that far. Is it just for marketing purposes for the breeder or the owner of the calves sires or something else? This is just something that has baffled me for years and I thought I might get a pretty wide variety of answers on here.

simtal

FYI there are these folks known as "wealthy" who can afford to burn money, because come April 15th, they are money aheadl

iowabeef

It also happens quite often that the "price" a calf sold for is not the actual amount of money that changes hands.....

hntwhitetail

Lots will clone that animal if it doese well.

If someone is willing to pay 30k+, than there is a market for them.  Sellers need buyers......  that is the price the market is willing to bear.

LostFarmer

iowabeef said:
It also happens quite often that the "price" a calf sold for is not the actual amount of money that changes hands.....
:eek: :eek: :eek:

You mean there are those wink, wink sales where the actual amount of money is much less than the reported amount to try to increase the "value" of the rest of the calves in that set?  Be still my heart!  (lol)

star87

In my part of the world it is understood that you very, very rarely will come out ahead on your project each year. Even those who are lucky enough to get a big win, probably end up behind at the end of their careers. Its just part of this hobby, just like paying for athletic leagues or any other extra curriculars. All in all I’d bet there are many more youth percentage wise that attend college on a livestock show or related scholarship versus any athletic or other scholarships. As a recipient of a large livestock show scholarship and an individual who was involved in many athletics growing up, I can whole-heartedly say the skills gained and life changing experiences from livestock projects are so much more valuable in my adult life than the thousands of hours I spent competing in athletic events.

Tooker

It is justified when steers sell at San Antonio for $175,000, Fort Worth for $165,000. I guess it is the same as buying a $2,000 steer and selling for $8.00 a pound. But, of course there are the ones that do "fluff" the sale price.

Dusty

It is a hobby for the people that spend 30k+.  They can afford it and its what they choose to do.  How many boats, campers,  disneyland trips etc actually make money?  They don't but people pay for recreation.  You cant show calves and expect to make money.  The quicker you get that thought out of your head the more fun you will have doing it.

Bradenh

yeah my dad always told us if we wanted to make money off of it something. we need to stop showing cattle and start selling lemonade (lol)

kobo_ranch

Growing us as a ranchers daughter I was raised conservative, and still am.  So when I see people spend those kind of bucks all I think is they were either born with a silver spoon or it came a whole lot easier than ours has.  Also think some just like to show off or have the need to act like 'big dogs" (lol) 

More power too 'em though... wish we could raise one good enough where someone would pay us that much!  <party>

Regardless though its everyones own business what and where they want to spend there money on.... for now anyways.  If our government has anything to say about those days may be changing soon.  All I know is those big dogs better get out and VOTE otherwise the O man just might be 'redistributing' it.