Highlanders are foragers and easy keepers.

Help Support Steer Planet:

Grousepark

I've heard how Highlanders are excellent foragers and therefore; easy keepers and feed efficient.  How true is this?  Have any studies been done?  What about buffalo?

wyatt

im surprised there isnt more highlanders in clubbies just for the hair...

Mark H

It is completely true that Scotch Highland cattle are great foragers , do well in cold climates, and are easy keeping cattle.  If you want Highland hair and adaptability you don't have to use a highland directly.  The Luing breed developed in Scotland is 3/4 Shorthorn and 1/4 Highland.  They were developed on a forage only program and were ruthlessly culled for fertility and functional traits.  It is common for  Luing cows to make to 15 years old.  They are also one of the easiest calving breeds available.  Check them out at: http://www.luingcattle.com/aboutbreed.html .
A UK Luing AI bull shedded out: http://www.genusbreeding.co.uk/documents/upload/Dynamite_colour_pedigree_flyer.pdf
Simmental cross very well with this breed and special registry has been formed just for this cross.

Diamond

they are neat looking cattle, the meat is not my thing, the steaks taste a lot like liver.

Simmgal

A neighbor had some a few years back. I almost invested in one, but he sold his herd the day before I had the check..

MCC

A few years ago they stalled the Highlanders in with the prospects on the hill in Denver. One day the guy next to us was combing his PRIZE BULLS head to make him purdy. In appreciation of his care the bull dropped his head and hooked his horn in the guys seat and gave him a ride out of the stall..... across the alley... into the prospects across from them. One of the funniest things I have ever seen.  (clapping)

Grousepark

Okay........... just dumbed are we.................I started this thread  wiith Highlanders, ...what does it take t be feed efficient? .... Hello...

HAB

Grousepark said:
Okay........... just dumbed are we.................I started this thread   wiith Highlanders, ...what does it take t be feed efficient? .... Hello...

The breed originated in a harsh climate, with limited forages available.  The only ones that survived were the ones that didn't need to each much.  Over time, the breed developed into what they are.  If they would have been in barns and pampered, they would need to be very efficient.

LLBUX

On forage they will be about as efficient as they come, as long as you don't expect them to grow very fast.  What I mean is that the amount of feed needed to maintain body function and condition is very low. 

From what I have seen and read, purebreds don't tend to grow very fast, even on feed.  250-300 pound weaners and 500-600 pound yearlings are quite common.

They will survive in weedy and brushy pastures that are exposed to rain and snow.  Calves come very small as a rule.

Highlanders cross well with other breeds and growth is much better.

JWW

Mark H - took the words right out of my mouth... I spent some time in the UK a few summer ago and toured an operation that ran a whole bunch of Luing cows, They had multiple herds or purebreds that they produced their Luing cows from and then ran them on the back sides of the hills (where rain was less) and grass was shorter and these cows were all fat.. average frame score was around 5-5.5, they would come back on these hybrid cows with either Charlois bulls or power Simmental bulls (the european type simmentals not the american type simmentals) and they would get calves that wean incrediblely huge calves.

The cows kinda act like long horn/hereford type cattle that get fat off of catcus and rocks.

i'll try to find some picture when i was there and post some

JWW

Aussie

MCC said:
A few years ago they stalled the Highlanders in with the prospects on the hill in Denver. One day the guy next to us was combing his PRIZE BULLS head to make him purdy. In appreciation of his care the bull dropped his head and hooked his horn in the guys seat and gave him a ride out of the stall..... across the alley... into the prospects across from them. One of the funniest things I have ever seen.  (clapping)
You are a sad, sad man