Holding a calf

Help Support Steer Planet:

haydude

Our fair starts the middle of September. I have two steers that look great they weigh around 1350 lbs our top weight is 1450 lbs. How do I keep them looking good and not to gain much more weight. They get fed 10lbs of grain 2 lbs of beet pulp and two lbs of high go.

vc

Flip your ration to 10 pounds beetpulp and 2 pounds grain, add a fat and a protein supplement to maintain the muscle and cover, monitor their weight, if they continue to gain to much pull the grain completely. You can up the feed in the end to help freshen them up.

The biggest thing in holding them and keeping them looking good is cutting calories while you still meet their nutritional needs, supplements is the only way to do that. They still need the fat and protein levels along with minerals to stay at what they were with full feed levels to maintain their condition

haydude

haydude said:
would something like power phat work?
what would i use for fat and protein? I have a 5 gallon buckett of golden flo. would that work. I am sort of confuse as to what i can use for fat and minerals a
and how much?

vc

Golden-flo is a fat supplement, you can use Soy pellets, calf manna for protein.