Holding a steers weight

Help Support Steer Planet:

JCFAMILY

We have a main steer that is for our county show which is mid Jan. This steer will also be going to Fort Worth which is end of Jan. He is weighing 1250 now. What is the best way to hit the target of 1350 without hurting the steer to much?

Bradenh

cottonseed hulls. about 30 percent of his feed and it will slow himdown alot. dont give it all to him at once. start with a little and work your way up.

vc

I would try and feed 5 pounds of beetpulp, 3 pounds of oats, 1 pound of stabilized rice bran and 1 pound of Calf-mana twice a day and Bermuda grass hay.
Work him down to this ration, should take a week as you add a pound of each the pulp and the oats take 2 of grain away, once you reach the ration of pulp and oats cut out the grain. You will need to weigh him twice a week at the same time to see how much he is gaining. If you can keep him to about 1 pound a day for 30 days that puts at 1280 early December, start increasing his feed and taking away the pulp and oats, I would take about 2 weeks to bring him back on 2 pounds beet pulp, 1 pound oats 6 pounds feed and keep him on the stabilized rice bran and calf-mana.(change the rations depending on his gain as you go) if he gains between 2-2.5 pounds a day it puts you around 1380, He can lose those 30 pounds on trip there. (3.5 gallons of water) Puts you within 3% of his weight for weigh back.

When you say he is 1250 is that full or empty? If it is full get an empty weight on him.
Do you have a weigh back and what is the percentage?

R1Livestock

I like to hold with 1/3 beet pulp, 1/3 wheat bran and 1/3 of your feed, you can adjust the overall amount with the amount of gain that you are trying to achieve.  This, along with some choice supplements can basically stall a steer for a couple months while keep them as fresh as possible in our experience.  Plus, it's somewhat economical.  Make sure the beet pulp gets fed wet, though.

rasor club calves

i've heard of not giving full water to them can help. i have seen 50 pounds gone just by minimuming there water in take. i haven't done it myself

JCFAMILY

Yes we have a five percent weight back. What about the supplements from showmaster such as full and fresh do any of those work? Thank for the help!!

Bradenh

rasor club calves said:
i've heard of not giving full water to them can help. i have seen 50 pounds gone just by minimuming there water in take. i haven't done it myself
not good for the calf. since he has to have water to live and function. unless you live in a cold area, then all bets are off

Latest posts