holstein x clubby

Help Support Steer Planet:

ROMAX

Talk to Matt Lautner, I know on his blog last year he had someone buy a bunch of semen to use on Holsteins. I would say Walks Alone could probably power up anything he was bred to.

CJB

KeithBork said:
We are curious if we can compete at low level county fair with a dairy cross steer.

Make sure your low level county fair rules allow you to show a dairy cross steer.  I know there is a rule on the books at my county fair that says, "Only steers exhibiting beef breeding can be shown."  You may be able to get around that with a large framed holstein and a clubby bull, but you might end up with a lot more dairy characteristics showing up than you would want in a beef steer.

cowpoke

I have seen a few that were bred to Beef Freisen that were pretty nice cattle.Amerifax was a dairy type that was promoted by Ohlde but their hair quality was limited.I have judged dairy beef and they are a whole different field as they are not bred for beef but high capacity and milk is the priority as they could feed five calves.Getting to bull selection Walks Alone or Jakes Proud Jazz and I am sure any of the smaller framed bulls would work.Even MAB would make some colorfull ones.What would be your best option is buy a good embryo from proven cow and take most of the guess work out because no matter which beef bull it would have to be a really weak show and low numbers to be competitive.I actually raised some high quality calves out of some Brown Swiss xAngus cows but that was next generation and they eliminated themselves due to fertility as they could raise 700# calves but would not come into heat .Everything has to be in balance.It takes the same amount of work to do it right regardless of the calf.

mark tenenbaum

MB STEERMAKER OR DOUBLE STUFF-Ive seen some very good selling 3/4 shorthorn calves out of Holstien haf blood females of either of these bulls-STEERMAKER-would make 2 of about any club caf bull you can name-as far as BUTT-and frame -he was a 7. Double Stuff and Heetseeker basically changed the cattle industry-Double Stuff is $15-Steermaker $25 Heetseeker is out there around $150- OH I forgot- Young Money is becoming a very good sire too O0

Boot Jack Bulls

I would think a good approach would be a three-way cross. What I mean is breed those Holsteins to a purebred English breed bull first. Pick one that shows tons of breed character and looks like a beef bull should, not necessarily like the end product you are looking for looks like. The resulting daughters might be useful replacements and the steers decent feeders, but probably not the show steers you are hoping for. Then breed those replacements to a continental bull that is known to produce show ring quality stock. The resulting steers may be wild colored, but they may have a fighting chance in the ring. I just have doubts that any of the mixed breed clubby sires of today are going to be able to consistently produce what you are looking for on those dairy heifers. Just my 2 cents on the idea.

mark tenenbaum

I think clubby shorthorn x holstien female to a red limmi or simm would be very cool. We had a Deertrail Wallsreet (full sib to Goliath)x holstien that was just too good to use as a recip-bred her to junior walker (a double down who only sired one caf crop but the hiefers won a lot of divisions etc) and got a really nice roan hiefer who was as thick as anything we had. She was 3/4-Then she was bred to a red Hooks simm-and the calf sold for $5000-and that was in 2001.  O0

RankeCattleCo

I'm telling you a clubby bull on a Holstein cow is literally going to be a black or black and white calf that looks exactly like a Holstein. We've done it once. Never again.