Hoof Rot

Help Support Steer Planet:

TYD

We have an older cow that has a bad case of hoof rot in both of her front feet.  What is the best way to treat this??  And what is the best product to use on it?  Thanks in advance  ;D

zak

Good luck trying to get that hoof  up so you can treat it. Unless you have a hoof triming table its going to be hard. :'(

Zak

TYD

Thanks for your imput Zak....I'm hoping that someone on here can give me some really good ideas on how to treat it.  This one guy told me to tie the cow up to the side of my chute and then try to lift the cows leg up and treat it that way.  That sounded a little crazy to me considering this is a huge pasture cow.  :-\

chambero

We use Micotil primarily and sometimes Nuflor on cows with footrot.  One dose and your done.  No need to mess with feet

LIMO

I have had good luck with Exceed, but sounds like you have an extreme case.

BN 32

Best luck we have had is calling in a foot trimmer and let them do there thing and make sure there are no other abscesses.

kanshow

You need to get some sort of injectable antibiotic in her.    LA200 has been pretty effective for us in treating foot rot on pasture cattle.   

TwinMaple

We give 50 - 60cc's of Liquamycin LA200. That works for us and you'll see results within a day or two.

box6rranch

Definitely give her antibiotics! If you can get her someplace dry and with a hose I'd spray the hoofs and then we take Bedadine (SP?) in a spray bottle and spray the hoof as much as we can. We had our heifer up in the corral so we did it two times a day till it was noticeably better. She blew out the bulb in the back of her hoof. Can even tell anymore that it happened.

vc

Nuflor and then Koppertox. Koppertox you will want to use daily until the foot rot clears up.

showstyx

Sulfur boluses are the best treatment we have ever used.  It may take two treatments, but I have never had a case it didn't cure.

Freddy

North central -- Nebraska on highway 183 - 30 mi
Make a quick trip to your vet an he will have the equipment to get to the problem an then give it what it needs ....We live fifty miles from the vet ,so it isn't like doing it on your way to coffee , so what works for us is a chelate mineral  13-13- with a package in it that takes care of it.  We use to have bad problem ,we graze some boggy hay meadows every year ,not enough crosssings  in it either to help them
stay out of it going to waater ..Also use to have lots of eye problems an have taken care of it ,some use terramycin in mineral but someone said by next year that might be off market ....Our mineral runs about 975.00 a ton right now , I don't know about you guys but I'm a old timer an had lot's experience doctoring foot rot over the years an if I was doing any now I think I would be worth about 40.00 dollars an hour when we leave the house ...

LostFarmer

I have had good luck with a long lasting Albon (sulfa drug) and Nuflor on occasion.  I usally have more problem when I bring them out of the wet land on to the dry in the fall.  I agree a good mineral helps as well.  I had a show heifer that was chronic until I finally soaked her foot like an abscessed horse.  Hot Epsom salt bath and it brought an abscess to the surface.  Once it broke we cleaned it out and put iodine in the hole.  It worked well but would be difficult with a range cow.  LF