Hoof Rot

Help Support Steer Planet:

KSanburg

I have a calf that is right at a month old that seemingly has a case of hoof rot or at least that is what it appears to be. The first time I noticed it was a week and a half ago, so I caught him and gave him a shot of Nuflor and followed it up 2 days later with a second shot. He was better the day after the first dose and was walking fine with no sign of swelling or infection at the end of last week. Today he is swollen and lame again, so I caught him again and this time I gave him a dose of Micotil and took iodine and poured some down between his toes hoping to attack any bacteria in a open lesion/sore.

Do any of you have any thoughts on a better attack or what else I might need to be looking for. I cannot see any stickers or cuts that could be the source of the problem.

ty378

Get some copper sulfate or a calf bolus spray it with copertox and wrap it

chambero

You used choice 1a and 1b.  I'd bet anything its not footrot if those didnt work.  Possibly a ligament or tendon injury

gary89

Mtnman said:
I have a calf that is right at a month old that seemingly has a case of hoof rot or at least that is what it appears to be. The first time I noticed it was a week and a half ago, so I caught him and gave him a shot of Nuflor and followed it up 2 days later with a second shot. He was better the day after the first dose and was walking fine with no sign of swelling or infection at the end of last week. Today he is swollen and lame again, so I caught him again and this time I gave him a dose of Micotil and took iodine and poured some down between his toes hoping to attack any bacteria in a open lesion/sore.

Do any of you have any thoughts on a better attack or what else I might need to be looking for. I cannot see any stickers or cuts that could be the source of the problem.
I have a calf that has the same thing. No wound but smelled like foot rot, no wound but has swelling. Treated 3x with excenel, waited a week and gave a dose of baytril. She's doing better, but still favoring her left front leg. Very frustrating the smell is much better, but usually doesn't take this long to recover and I have never had a baby get this. With the cold wet weather we have gotten I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

Shghmh

A shot of LA 200 almost always works for us. Tried coppertox, etc, not much luck. Hope you find a cure!