hoover dam on first calf heifers

Help Support Steer Planet:

pa showman

what is your opinion on breeding hoover dam to an Angus heifer that needs thickness and power while still being safe for her first calf.

ploughshare

It depends on the heifer and her background, but Hoover Dam meets all of my criteria for use on first calf heifers for calving ease.  I have not used him, so I can not comment on his ability to power up.  What's the heifer's sire and dam or AAA #?

lightnin4

I have calved out 2 first calf heifers that were bred to Hoover Dam.  No problems with calving ease...they just popped right out!  One of the calves is probably the heaviest muscled bull I have in my yearling bull pen.  I've got another heifer bred to him due this Fall.

dcbehle

My wife's uncle who got us started in the Angus business loves Hoover Dam and his calves. Excellent thickness, structure, and docility. Docility is huge for him as he is still managing his own cattle herd after being in the business for nearly 60 years. A good portion of his herd still ends up in the show ring each year.

One bull we used this last year is Soo Line Motive. Had three calves this spring that ranged from 62 - 78 lbs. The calves are thick bricks and have the most bone we've ever had in our Angus genetics. We had one BC Raven bred heifer that we sold at the Nebraska Cattlemens Classice that did calve a 90 lb. calf. That heifer was pushed on feed the last 5 months to get in show condition, so we did expect a bigger calf. The new owner is thrilled with the calf as it came easy and hit the ground running.

BlkAngus

dcbehle~ Do you have pictures of your motive calves?  Thinking of using him this year.

Idland

HD is one of the best CE Angus that will add mucle and the look for the ring