Horned Hereford Bull

Help Support Steer Planet:

HerefordGuy

Pure Gold has had a big impact on the breed.  But, in that regard, so have Anxiety 4th and Prince Domino.  GH Neon and Rambo also seem to becoming quite popular.  I think if you look at semen sales, polled Herefords are becoming more popular.

herefordfootball

Like herfguy said C-S puregold has had a big impact, he is probaly one of the better horned herfs for sure. My second would be Rambo. JMO. There are lots out there, but personally I like the polleds better.

cattle nut

Sorry guys but comparing the Polled Herefords and the Horned Herefords is a bit like comparing Salers and Maines. They are nothing alike. Try feeding Polled Herefords in a normal cow/calf operation and you will know what I mean. Not trying to start a scrap but couldn't let this one slide. Polled cattle look great fat but take away the corn and then lock the gate because you won't want the neighbors to see.

Thanks to those who gave me their thoughts on Horned Hereford bulls.

knabe

cattle nut said:
I am looking for everyones opinions on the very best Horned Hereford bull ever raised and who owns him?

knersie in s. africa who posts on cattle today has some nice looking herefords, but i think it's pretty impossible to get semen out of there.  also on cattle today, there are some from s. america that look pretty good too.

HerefordGuy

cattle nut,
I feel that the trend is that you see more polled sires and dams in horned pedigrees and more horned sires and dams in polled pedigrees.  I feel since the associations merged that the two have become much more similar, but I could be mistaken.
I would be interested in your answers to your question, who do you feel is the best horned Hereford bull?

HT

I do agree with HerefordGuy, I do believe that the associations have merged into one.

PLKR

cattle nut said:
Sorry guys but comparing the Polled Herefords and the Horned Herefords is a bit like comparing Salers and Maines. They are nothing alike. Try feeding Polled Herefords in a normal cow/calf operation and you will know what I mean. Not trying to start a scrap but couldn't let this one slide. Polled cattle look great fat but take away the corn and then lock the gate because you won't want the neighbors to see.

That is one of the funnier things I've read in awhile.You will find ALOT of the better Hereford cattle are a mixture of horned and polled genetics--as is true in most breeds. We have horned & polled Herefords, and I can honestly say our polled cows are easier fleshing than our horned cows. Perhaps selecting the best HEREFORD genetics would be the route...  As far as the best Horned bull ever--not sure I have an immediate answer for that, but if you look at the "entire history" of the breed I'm not sure P.G. and Rambo would be at the top...nothing against those bulls, I've seen alot of good cattle out of them, but they both have shortcomings, as well--just like most cattle do!

herefordfootball

cattle nut said:

Do you  want our opinions or do you want to compare polled cattle to horned cattle?

DLD

cattle nut said:

I heard 80's music playing while I was reading this post...  Once upon a time it might've had a little validity, I don't believe it does now.  Either way the bottom line is, if you want to sell commercial bulls (of any color/breed) in this part of the world, they'd better be polled or nobody will buy 'em.

HerefordGuy

DLD said:
cattle nut said:

I heard 80's music playing while I was reading this post...  Once upon a time it might've had a little validity, I don't believe it does now.  Either way the bottom line is, if you want to sell commercial bulls (of any color/breed) in this part of the world, they'd better be polled or nobody will buy 'em.

DLD, can't agree more.

cattle nut

I love the comments. Thanks everyone, especially the 80's music comment!! I will take all of them into account but the reason I asked is because in the Northern US and Southern Canada, there is a difference in the eyes of the commercial guy who runs 500-1000 commercial Horned Hereford cows and uses all Horned Hereford bulls. He would sell the cows and the 100 year old farm before he would run a Hereford bull with polled in its gene pool.

Anyway thanks and I love it.

herefordfootball

cattle nut said:
I love the comments. Thanks everyone, especially the 80's music comment!! I will take all of them into account but the reason I asked is because in the Northern US and Southern Canada, there is a difference in the eyes of the commercial guy who runs 500-1000 commercial Horned Hereford cows and uses all Horned Hereford bulls. He would sell the cows and the 100 year old farm before he would run a Hereford bull with polled in its gene pool.

TMJ Show Cattle said:
Good answer comeback Cattle Nut. I can here the screams starting. Get ready for the backlash.

So you asked for our opinion and shot it down when we gave it to you? Not a very good answer if you ask me. I dont really think this is the place for comebacks as no one should be arguing.

CPL

herefordfootball said:
cattle nut said:

TMJ Show Cattle said:
Good answer comeback Cattle Nut. I can here the screams starting. Get ready for the backlash.

So you asked for our opinion and shot it down when we gave it to you? Not a very good answer if you ask me. I dont really think this is the place for comebacks as no one should be arguing.

Chris- TMJ is right, you're wrong. Just the way it works with him.  ::)

JMO, but there are many many many better horned PUREBRED Hereford Bulls than that bull Phil Lautner is promoting.

I have some suggestions from calves I've seen, but if you want that list PM me. I'd rather not post it here to have punks like TMJ, etc. get involved in something that doesn't  concern them.

Chris, how do you guys do at the State Fair? I just got back from helping with Dairy week. The Place was so unorganized and mismanaged. It was a HUGE hassel/mess.

herefordfootball

State fair went good, other than our placings!!!  (lol) Our heifer was last in her class, and the steer was 4th out of 7th. He beat out a big name breeder from here in Indiana and that kinda suprised us because he is just our homeraised steer, so that was cool.

The story behind the heifer placing is crazy. Her full sister was res. champion hereford heifer and they are pretty much identical twins. Some of the calves in our class couldnt even walk, you'd thought it was a terminal show for heifers the way he picked the ones in my class. I guess that is being pretty critical though. We had three very reputable breeders asking if they could show her in the open show, because they knew we werent going to be able to stay and show her. Everyone thought she was going to be res. champ and her sis was gonna be champ or vise versa. The one thing I have to say about the judge is when I disagree with him all day long that is fine, when I agree all day that is fine, but when he's all over the board I start wondering.

Sorry the dairy show didnt go smooth, sometimes it just works out that way, lack of organization and direction. Maybe next year it will be better.

DLD

cattle nut said:

TMJ Show Cattle said:

No backlash from me.  It was a good answer IMO... At least he didn't try to tell me he could sell horned bulls better than polled ones in my part of the country.  I'm not going to try to tell him that I can sell polled ones better than horned ones in his part of the country either.