Hot brands show steers

Help Support Steer Planet:

pds

We are trying to figure out a way to track steers that we sell to steer jocks. What are everyones feeling on buying steers with brands on them? Do you shy away or does it matter?

chambero

Sell to ones that will be upfront on how they do.  But you can't brand.

RankeCattleCo

We have learned that there basically is no way. We sold two I-80 steers back in Septemeber and would really like to know how they are progressing but have no way of doing so...  :'(

HelenH

GOOD TATTOOS INCLUDING HERD LETTERS, DON'T DISAPPEAR AS ELECTRONIC EAR TAGS DO! (and grown over brands for that matter)

Barry Farms

I wouldn't buy a steer with a brand on it, it doesn't look the way I would want it to. If you want progression- ask them to leave a phone # or email and tell them your intent.

MCC

I have a question. I have never freeze branded anything but would that work? I realize on a white steer it wouldn't but wouldn't the hair grow back white? Just one of my dumb ideas. ::)

cbcr

I think that at present HelenH has the most practical solution.  But in the future some of these things may change with the ADTA (Animal Disease Traceability Act) as animals will have to have an RFID tag and know where they have been.  Minnesota has this enforced now.  Even the Dairy industry is supposed to tag calves before they leave the dairy.

The only problem that would occur with the tattoo would be if the animals could be registered and they registry does not allow for a herd letter prefix to be used as one of the tattoo's.

Outside of this, as long as fairs and shows do not require any documentation for animals there is no other solution, except to find an honest? steer jock with a good reputation that understands the importance of breeders knowing how their animals do.

afhm

There are lots of steers that are branded by the breeders, mostly from the western states where its required and by others that have been in the situation you're talking about.  They still sell high just like the unbranded ones.  Just do it on the offside and do it in a location that won't be detrimental  if it doesn't turn out quite right, i.e. left shoulder.  There are a few people who jaw brand their calves as well.  You could also consider a unique ear notch pattern as well even though it can be hidden with hair unless slick sheared.

cowpoke

Several winning steers have brands and in some cases it might even help them.The Wagonhammer is widely known along with RockingJ. Many western states it is the only way to show proof on ownership.I remember a baby calf being taken and the way they determined who it belonged to was it running to its real mother.

CAB

Remember the Yaclley's in their hay day, the big YK brand? Willers Mitten brand? I think that you may want to brand off show side, but then again maybe not. Cheap, good advertisement.

DLD

Some traders may not buy from you if brand.  If you care about following your calves, maybe you don't want to sell to those traders, anyway.  But some that will tell you where they went still aren't going to want them branded.  There will be some exhibitors that won't want them either, probably especially those who show slick shear. 

We're feeding a steer with a brand this time (a big, ugly and not well known brand), but he was a really good buy, and I believe that was partly why.  Given a choice, I'd much prefer he didn't have it, but I guess it's obviously not an absolute deal breaker for me.

Ear notches are a lot like brands, not very attractive (especially multiple ones) and could be a deal breaker for some.  Tattoo's aren't going to hurt their value/price, but I'm not sure they're going to do much good, because most folks (especially if the trader is still helping them) aren't just going to let you look in their calf's ear to see if you might've raised him... Guess a few might, though.

GoWyo

We brand everything we raise, but then again we haven't raised anything all that great yet, so no one is going to object much.  However, when we do raise a good one, everybody ought to know about it.  <rock>  Our brand is on the left shoulder, so it doesn't affect the show side.