How about them Hawkeyes!

Help Support Steer Planet:

oakbar

I think the Hawks could have a rough time of it with the Buckeyes.  If the Ohio State qb finds his sride they could be awfully tough.  I hope the Hawks don't get caught looking past Indiana & Northwestern, either.    They seem to play to the level of their competition this year and  that will usually catch up with you somewhere in a long season.

Ferentz is a great coach, though, so hopefully he can keep them focused.    I just hope they don't run the table and  get upset by the Minnesota Running Rodents in the last game!!  That would be awful but  weird things sometimes happen!!

husker1

Chiming in.....Big win for the Hawks....

As an outside casual observer, I feel it's going to be tough for them against OSU.  Don't seem to have the skilled personell.

Hard for me to categorize them great when it is a tough game for them week in and week out.  Need to see some thumpings to be great, though their defense does seem solid.

forcheyhawk

At what point though do you quit doubting???  I'm being serious when I ask the question.  Ohio State won a title a few years ago and every game they played was close.  This is only my personal opinion, but I think the close ones make a team stronger.  After watching Ohio State twice so far this year, I would say that if they don't play better than they have in the two games that I saw them - they won't beat us.  They lost to Purdue for god sakes.  At least we've won our close games.  The other side to the close games is that I don't think it has anything to do with talent and more to do with coaching philosophy.  Our coach doesn't take offensive chances with a defense as good as he has unless he absolutely has to.  The philosophy is to play conservative on offense and take what the Def is giving and play good defense.  It's very conservative mistake free ball.  It normally won't look pretty, but to date it has worked well and Iowa has beaten Penn State, Wisconsin, and MSU on the road as well as Michigan and a good Arizona team at home.  The computers absolutely love Iowa.  So I guess back to my 1st question - at what point does the rest of the country stop doubting them?  <beer>

At any rate, it's been one helluva great ride for this Hawkeye fan.

Jacob B

OK, that one hurts a little form a State fans prospective.  Victory was so close. The media talks about how they can't be any good if they find a way to win all these close games becasue the stats just aren't there, when Florida and Alabama just won some close ones.  i don't think you have to blow people away to be the better team, just win.  it's the score at the end that counts.  The better teams find a way to win. Congradulations Hawkeyes.  That's why the system at hand is a joke.  a PLAYOFF would finally show who is the true Champion. Iowa will not get a chance to even play for a title this year even if they win out because they didn't blow anybody away.

forcheyhawk

Don't get me wrong.  Ohio State can beat anyone on any given day, but the way they've played to date I certainly wouldn't expect a Huskers fan to make the statement with certainty that OSU will beat Iowa.  We've heard it every week as Hawks fans though.  I have a Cyclone buddy that put money on MSU.  He was cheering HUGE when MSU scored that touchdown.  ;D  1st it was Penn State will take out the pretenders on the road.  Next Wiscy will most definitely beat us because they statistically beat Ohio State. - yep you guessed it the same people that doubt our wins because they don't look pretty thought that Wiscy would beat us cuz they statistically beat OSU - even though they didn't win the most important battle - SCOREBOARD!  Next, a salty MSU team on the road was going to beat us.  They damn near did.  I doubt MSU is celebrating a damn near victory.  Just as I'm not celebrating any less because we only beat them by a few points.  At the end of the day, it's about victories.  If Texas, Florida, or Alabama trips up, their style victories won't mean much.  Btw, that was a stylish victory Alabama had over Tennessee.  12-10?  They must really suck.  LOL  Yeah right.

bcosu

unfortunately i have to sell my ohio state vs. iowa ticket because of naile but i am a whole lot more confident about ohio state now after the minnesota game. i can't see iowa's offense moving the ball enough against osu's defense who is probably the best unit in the big ten. ohio state's offense has more athletes than any team iowa has played so far and the hawkeye defense is good but i don't think they will stop ohio state enough. plus with the game being in columbus i can't see iowa winning.

Show Heifer

Can everyone repeat after me: 9-0. Undefeated!!!.  We are not pretty but we get the job done!!! (kinda like the ol' cow that always raises the best calf!!!!)  GO HAWKS!!!!

Simnetix

My heart was beating through my chest after this game.  Why don't we just blow somebody out once?  None the less, another win is another win.  Next 2 games are gonna be really tough, Northwestern runs the spread, the spread kills zone defenses and then to the Horseshoe to face THE Ohio State Buckeyes.... never an easy place to play!

GO HAWKS!!!

DL

It doesn't say in the rule book it has to be pretty - go Hawks! and on another sport, how about those Sabres ;)

shortdawg

DL said:
It doesn't say in the rule book it has to be pretty - go Hawks! and on another sport, how about those Sabres ;)

It has to be pretty for those BCS voters. I heard Kirk Heirbstreet say he was going to drop the Hawkeyes b/c of their strugggling with those teams they should blow out. Congrats on the win - definitely not picking on the Hawkeyes at all - just stating what I heard.

Show Heifer

It is my understanding the BCS is based on some mathematical equation and not much to do with "suck up points", which is what the AP poll is. The BCS is based on given points for beating a team, that beat a team, that lost to another team. I do not completely understand it, but it is purely a math equation.

I have heard "Iowa can't win the big ones" - funny they won at MI ST, OH ST and Penn ST (all in their home stadium)
                      "Stanzi is too inconcienent" - funny he overcame 6 interceptions to throw huge passes to score 3 touchdowns in the fourth quarter
                      "Too many injuries" - really? And to think the "second string (or are we on the third?) ran for 150+ yards
                      "The Big 10 is a weak conference" - They have several in the top 20, just like the other conferences
                      "Iowa can't recruit with the "big dogs" - Maybe we don't want to. Seems like those single great players do not do so well when they have to play quarterback, running back, wide reciever, etc (Can't do it alone)
                                                                                      Ferenz and Co seem to do pretty damn good with creating a TEAM out of players that "just aren't good enough".
                      "They can't win big" - And to think I always thought a win was a win. My bad.
                      "They do not play pretty football" - Its football for heavens sake, not a beauty pagent.

So to all those have doubted Iowa every single game that they have played, I have a message to you: Hang in there, you will only have to eat your words 3 more times, be proved wrong 3 more times this season (four when you count the bowl game) and have to come up with excuses for Iowa winning four more times. . Then you can call it a fluke and look forward to next season when you will no doubt, talk smack about the Hawks.

IowaAngus

Show Heifer said:
Can everyone repeat after me: 9-0. Undefeated!!!
9-0. Undefeated!!!

aj said:
Go Iowa, I doubt they are as good as the mighty Cornhuskers but they are ok. ;D
Here are a few reasons we are better: Lets see... We beat Iowa State, and Iowa State beat the Cornhuskers. The Cornhuskers aren't undefeated. And, I doubt they have played Iowa's very tough record, especially on the road.

Show Heifer said:
It is my understanding the BCS is based on some mathematical equation and not much to do with "suck up points", which is what the AP poll is. The BCS is based on given points for beating a team, that beat a team, that lost to another team. I do not completely understand it, but it is purely a math equation.

I have heard "Iowa can't win the big ones" - funny they won at MI ST, OH ST and Penn ST (all in their home stadium)
                      "Stanzi is too inconcienent" - funny he overcame 6 interceptions to throw huge passes to score 3 touchdowns in the fourth quarter
                      "Too many injuries" - really? And to think the "second string (or are we on the third?) ran for 150+ yards
                      "The Big 10 is a weak conference" - They have several in the top 20, just like the other conferences
                      "Iowa can't recruit with the "big dogs" - Maybe we don't want to. Seems like those single great players do not do so well when they have to play quarterback, running back, wide reciever, etc (Can't do it alone)
                                                                                      Ferenz and Co seem to do pretty damn good with creating a TEAM out of players that "just aren't good enough".
                      "They can't win big" - And to think I always thought a win was a win. My bad.
                      "They do not play pretty football" - Its football for heavens sake, not a beauty pagent.

So to all those have doubted Iowa every single game that they have played, I have a message to you: Hang in there, you will only have to eat your words 3 more times, be proved wrong 3 more times this season (four when you count the bowl game) and have to come up with excuses for Iowa winning four more times. . Then you can call it a fluke and look forward to next season when you will no doubt, talk smack about the Hawks.

I agree with you completely!

forcheyhawk

Way to go HAWKS!!!!  I'm going to sit back and enjoy this incredible run.  In fact, this coming week I will be enjoying from the Skybox.  ;D  I could careless what the national media says.  They've been wrong for 9 weeks now.  Usually they come around before now. 

shortdawg

I could careless what the national media says.  They've been wrong for 9 weeks now. 
[/quote]

Finally, the media can't find a way for USC to be in the Nat'l Title hunt. :'( (clapping) (clapping) (clapping) (clapping) (clapping) (clapping) (clapping) (clapping) (clapping) (clapping) (clapping) (clapping) (clapping) (clapping) (clapping) (clapping) (clapping) (clapping) (clapping) (clapping) (clapping) (clapping) (clapping) (clapping) (clapping) (clapping) (clapping) (clapping) (clapping) (clapping) (clapping) (clapping) (clapping) (clapping) (clapping) (clapping) (clapping) (clapping) (clapping) (clapping) (clapping) (clapping) (clapping) (clapping) (clapping) (clapping) (clapping) (clapping) (clapping) (clapping) (clapping) (clapping) (clapping) (clapping) (clapping) (clapping) (clapping) (clapping) (clapping) (clapping) (clapping) (clapping) (clapping) (clapping) (clapping) (clapping) (clapping) (clapping) (clapping) (clapping) (clapping) (clapping) (clapping) (clapping) (clapping) (clapping) (clapping) (clapping) (clapping) (clapping) (clapping) (clapping) (clapping) (clapping) (clapping) (clapping) (clapping) (clapping) (clapping) (clapping) (clapping) <party> <party> <party> <party> <party> <party> <party> <party> <party> <party> <party> <party> <party> <party> <party>

Show Heifer

Do we dare wish for 10-0???? 

Of course now we have to deal with the Sports Illustrated Cover Curse....  I thought it was funny what Ferenz said when a reporter mentioned the SI cover. He honestly looked puzzled and said "Really? I didn't know. It doesn't have anything to do with the field."
Ya just have to love that man!!!

GO HAWKS!!