How big of herd for one person

Help Support Steer Planet:

dwcc

Was wanting to know some opinions on what size of herd is the right size for one person to take care of? I feedout most of my cows and raise all my feed. I also have3 young boys. I have s # in mind but was just wandering others thoughts or experiences.

hamburgman

One of my very knowledgeable professors at school warned us about expanding cowherds over 600 head.  He said there is plenty of data (which I have not taken the time to find I will admit) that shows after 600 head a lot of your important benchmarks start to fall.  Most important being conception rate and calf mortality rate head in the directions you don't want.

edmun2010

A little more info might help. Is this your primary source of income or do you work off the farm as well? Show cattle or commercial cows.

kiblercattle

I think it just depends on the set up. How close the cows are how hands off they are. My future father in law runs 275 cows and 150 yearlings all by himself but all his pasture is with in 2 miles of his house. My dad and another kid run 700 cows over 18000 acres all by themselves. It all depends on the ease of handling and the accessibility to your facilities as to the number of cows you can handle alone.

CAB

Where you are located will have a lot to do with determining how many you can run. IE. cows per acre, feed. If you have all the feed that you could ever need IMO the next question who be how hard do you want to work at it? A person can take care of a large # of cows if you make your mind up to it, but it takes a bunch of resources to get that done.

justintime

I have heard that a person raising a commercial herd, can run twice as many cows as a person running a purebred herd. I tend to agree with this, when you consider all the additional things that need to be done when operating a purebred herd properly. Part of the answer to your question will lie in how much time you are willing to devote to your herd. Like has been said earlier, it will depend on several other factors as well, such as how far your pastures are from your home base, how much feed you have to put up, how long you can graze the herd, and many other things.
For many years my dad and I ran 350 cows ( of which 250 were purebred Shorthorn and 100 were some other purebred breed and/or commercial) and also had 800-1000 head in our feedlot. Both of us enjoyed working with cattle, but when I think back to those days, I cannot imagine ever doing it again. Most days we were outside long before daybreak and we never came in until long after dark. The two main things we did were work and sleep. My dad is now almost 89, and the hardest thing he has to deal with is not working all the time. He still comes out to the farm mainly from spring to fall and tries to do something around the yard. He really misses working with the cattle, and he will oftentimes drive out and just spend some time with the cattle in the pastures. It has been his life and it has been hard for him to do anything else.  Personally, I am hoping to eventually find out if there actually is life after cows. ( I will probably still own some when I die, but hopefully someone else will be looking after them)

dwcc

Thanks for all your posts.My goal right now is to get to 200 hd  in the next 5 years  then see how things r going.  I intend for most of my cows to be commercial  but have20 hd of clubbies and 20 hd of reg  Angus. I am at 80 hd right now, I still need to do some work on my rented ground, but the home place is pretty well set up now. Thanks again

Limiman12

I am betting that you will feel like you can handle about ten percent more......  Right up until you decide you have ten percent too many......

To me, and I am not a full time cattle man, but it would seem that ability to get enough hay, made or bought, will be your limiting factor.  I would also think that for every clubby, it will be like two commercial, And every two purebreds will be like three........

Latest posts