how do you get hair to grow on young calves

Help Support Steer Planet:

misty

We have a couple of calves we are going to put in a sale in Oct. How can we get them to grow more hair?  Can you give young
calves shag or epic to help with the hair if so at what age and how much.

shortyjock89

misty said:
We have a couple of calves we are going to put in a sale in Oct. How can we get them to grow more hair?  Can you give young
calves shag or epic to help with the hair if so at what age and how much.

If they're not putting hair on by October, then they probably won't have a lot of hair anyhow. Ours will start to shag back up in about 3 weeks, the ones we have in now started putting on hair a week or two ago.

ZNT

We have had great luck just sorting the calves off the cows during the daytime and putting them in the showbarn under the fans and misters.  The calves run loose in the pen with a pan of feed always available.  My sorting the young calves off, it also gives you an opportunity to halter them up occasionally, and also rinse them once in a while.  They are no different than any other showcalf you are getting ready for the fall shows.

Shaving their heads, tails, and any other extra hair on their tops and necks can also help keep the calves cooler, thus growing more hair sooner.

CAB

Your calves will be growing hair naturally in Mt. by Oct., but the clubbie traders here in Iowa start rinsing 2 times a day as soon as they can get them broke and acclimated. The Oct sale calves usually have great hair. A good balanced diet and parasite control program is always a good idea.

misty

Thank you for all of your responses.  I quess I'll not get too excited and just wait.  It has been getting hot during the day here but cold enough at night to have to wear a jacket.  We are going to wean them and start halter breaking the first part of September also start rinsing and blowing.

Show Heifer

You rlucky Misty,  I am getting calves ready and it was 98 degrees with a heat index of 110.  The next 10 days is not hopeful, coolest day is 89 with thunderstorms (humidity high).
fantastic. just fantastic.... oh, and I have fans, and no cooler... but I bet my calves will leave the fair in better shape than those that have been in a cooler for months!!