How do you get manure balls or tags out of hair on a steer?

Help Support Steer Planet:

snoit

We had to pull a steer out of our feeder pen to replace 1 of our show steers. He has a bunch of manure and mud stuck in his hair especially on his legs and stomach. Any ideas on how to get this out without pulling out all the hair? Thanks for your help.

frostback

Start by putting  WD-40 on liberally. Wait a day then wet him, put on soap(still happy with a cheap dish soap) and scrub, do not expect to get it all in one wash. Just get them soaked and soaped then rinse, a lot more will come out with the blower. It is easier on the hair to do this a few times then expect to get it all in one wash.

renegadelivestock

saturate the manure in mineral oil, leave it over night, then scrub with soap and water, repeat until clean.

KSanburg

frostback said:
Start by putting  WD-40 on liberally. Wait a day then wet him, put on soap(still happy with a cheap dish soap) and scrub, do not expect to get it all in one wash. Just get them soaked and soaped then rinse, a lot more will come out with the blower. It is easier on the hair to do this a few times then expect to get it all in one wash.

That WD-40 is some amazing stuff! But that is grest information.

KSanburg

countrypapa said:
another use for WD-40, thougt it was just good for authoritus (lol)  (clapping)

Spray you fishing lure or bait with it sometime and catch more fish, also so effective to help stop smoking when applied to the filter of the cigarette. I have also heard that it help with arthritis, but have not used it in that application.

loveRedcows

This string is an example of why I love the Planet.....clicked on it because we have same problem, & learned far more than I bargained for!!!!!

I-69cc

If the calf will let you squeeze poo balls with pliers dry or wet. Also we ve found using this funky looking horse comb that looks like cury comb on 1 side and a thick tooth t comb on other, most fa stores have em for bout 6 bucks. Good luck!

johnmetzger

EZall can be purchased at most farm stores. Just cleaned a Walks Alone steer on sunday that was caked and I mean caked with manure. Hose down with water and wait 10-15 min. spray on the EZall and a curry comb and repeat. Blown out calf tonight with hardly any hair loss. He looks real good. Oh ya he has atleast 2" hair on his hinds and legs No BS