How do you show Bulls?

Help Support Steer Planet:

IowaAngus

I am researching how you show bulls. What you look for in bull calves, how to clip, showmanship, etc etc....

HerefordGuy

More experience member of steer planet might have a better answers than I do, but here it goes...

I believe showmanship is basically the same.  The bull will need a nose ring, and a lead attached to the ring. 

When looking for bull calves, structure becomes much more important compared to evaluating a steer.  Also, they need to be masculine.  They should have a nice set of testicles. 

When clipping, you want a longer, smoother muscle pattern.  This comes most into play when clipping the lower quarter above the hock.  You shouldn't make a hard line there, but it should be a smooth slope into a full quarter.

I don't think the fake hair and all that stuff is popular when fitting breeding cattle, at least its not in Herefords. 

There are probably many more things that are different that I have not mentioned.  My suggestion would be to go to a breeding show and watch what people do and don't do. 

FarmerWanna-Be

Ive seen bulls fit with fake hair and stuff just as much as steers are fit for showing.

cracehole

I showed a chi bull and you treat him just like a steer unless it's dairy then the leg on the side of the jugde is moved in front of the other leg but for beef it's set up just like a steer in everything