How far would you Travel for Jackpot with $10,000 added money?

Help Support Steer Planet:

cowboylaw

Looking to really draw from out of state and interested to find out how far you all would travel for a steer and heifer show if there was $10,000 added money.  I'm thinking payout for grand in both heifer and steer divisions would be around $3000+.  Would you all load up and travel 4...5....6...7 hours for that?  <cowboy>

GoWyo

If I thought we had a contender, maybe 4-5 hours.  We don't usually run in those circles, so 2 hours is far enough.  For us, the jackpots are great tune ups for kids and cattle to be more competitive at county and state fairs.

RyanChandler

If I really thought I was in contention, Id probably drive anywhere in the country considering I could do that for less than a grand.  Then again, I'll always risk a thousand for a legit shot to win 10,000.

bk2005

Back in the day the Ohio Agr was the biggest open jackpot in the mid west. Paid 2500 to win the steer show.
Now Lima, Agr and ags are still big shows but run two rings. Pay 1k to win each ring for steers and heifers.

Bringing in big numbers really depend on location and the wknd being held.
Any of the calves that stand in the top 5 of the big 3 open shows in Ohio, they can hang at any show.

GoWyo

What can help draw a bigger crowd is adequate facilities and a deeper payout or prize line.  We all know that there are only a handful of calves that can win the show depending on how they look that day with a particular judge.  However, if the payout runs deeper than the top two per division, say the top two or three per class, it may help draw additional exhibitors who don't have the elite calves.  It gets difficult to spread it out that far and keep the show viable though.

okiegirl

Without a doubt.  A close show for us is two hours and we drive 4-5 all the time.  Hope it's in Oklahoma, Texas or Arkansas, lol.

afhm

Would this show be geared towards fall borns or spring borns?  That would limit the cattle that came and depending on the time of the year give one set an advantage of the other unless a weight limit is set.  As far as how far people will travel, if you pay it they will come.

cowboylaw

I think we can pay down a ways and make it attractive for many while still paying out a "chunk o' cash" to the winners.  I wish we could draw like you guys do in the mid-west, but this would be in the Rocky Mountains.  Thus the reason for a big payout to get a good draw. 

bim1986

6 to 8 hours if I had something that would compete.  My guess that would bring quite a few people.

GoWyo

cowboylaw said:
I think we can pay down a ways and make it attractive for many while still paying out a "chunk o' cash" to the winners.  I wish we could draw like you guys do in the mid-west, but this would be in the Rocky Mountains.  Thus the reason for a big payout to get a good draw.

There are quite a few cattle in Colorado that will be competitive.  Is that the part of the Rockies you are talking about?

cowboylaw

GoWyo, it would actually be in Utah.  CO does indeed have a lot of good cattle and it would be about a 5-8 hr drive for most.  The facilities are quite good and being improved.