How is Jakes Proud Jazz for calving ease

Help Support Steer Planet:

twistedhshowstock

I would have to say he is probably one of the safest ones out there.  And while his pics arent the prettiest in the world, I would have to say that the majority of the calves I have seen out of him have been pretty classy goodlooking calves.

ShowmanQ

JPJ is very good as far as calving ease, BUT will downsize for sure. I would NOT use him on smaller framed cows, but that is just me. I have seen one too many smaller framed deals myself.

Doc

But , like any other bull he can be all over the board also. I had a friend buy 2 cows in B-Goods dispersal . 1 had a 85 lb hfr & the other had a 120 lb bull. Just saying that it's not a given you are going to have a small calf. The odds are probably pretty good you will, but still watch them close if they are small framed to start with. You never know how the 2 bloodlines are going to match up.

cattlefarmer

Doc said:
But , like any other bull he can be all over the board also. I had a friend buy 2 cows in B-Goods dispersal . 1 had a 85 lb hfr & the other had a 120 lb bull. Just saying that it's not a given you are going to have a small calf. The odds are probably pretty good you will, but still watch them close if they are small framed to start with. You never know how the 2 bloodlines are going to match up.
I would still take my chances with JPJ on hiefers over anything with trump or rodeo drive etc. in it!  The bull isn't the only one that contributes to birth weight either!!!  All of our hiefers here are breed to a JPJ son with no trouble the last two years.  The calves are built the way they should be to be calving ease! jmho

shortdawg

Doc said:

A good blanket statement for most any bull out there  ;)

Doc

cattlefarmer said:
Doc said:
I would still take my chances with JPJ on hiefers over anything with trump or rodeo drive etc. in it!  The bull isn't the only one that contributes to birth weight either!!!  All of our hiefers here are breed to a JPJ son with no trouble the last two years.  The calves are built the way they should be to be calving ease! jmho

I'm not saying I disagree 100%. I'm just saying that it's not 100% given that every one of his calves are going to be 85 lbs or under (or whatever your magic number is). You are exactly right in the fact that the cow side contributes also & I don't remember him saying what the heifers are sired by. For me personally there is several choices out there besides JPJ to use for heifers. But thats JMO.

jakec53

Pretty good calving ease bull but they sure stay small and can be very straight fronted and small footed. 

OLD WORLD SHORTIE

JPJ is awesome on heifers, that is why people call him a heifer safe bull. So i guess that will correlate to calving ease, but as far as how his heifers will turn out i will find out this season as two out of the three we are holding back will be JPJ calves out of  SonnyXCumberlad bred cows that are somewhat moderate in their size.  

Attachments

• NHR Cumberland Jazz 3.jpg
    NHR Cumberland Jazz 3.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 260
  • cumberland duchess 1b 2011 2.jpg
    cumberland duchess 1b 2011 2.jpg
    223.7 KB · Views: 262

osfcattle

here is my jpj heifer

Attachments

• 206628_10150139751541263_686301262_7061103_2883814_n.jpg
    206628_10150139751541263_686301262_7061103_2883814_n.jpg