How long can this go on?

Help Support Steer Planet:

braunvieh

Have a Char calf that was born a week ago that was orphaned. Absolutely will not suck a bottle and we have been tubing it. Have tried everything imagineable to get it to drink and it will swallow but won't suck.

Are there calves out there that just won't ever suck??

shufly

Unfortunately I have to say yes because we had one this year too.  Tried everything: Bo-Se, Banamine, Cellurater, Nutra Drench, Vitamin b12, etc.  Nothing worked and he died.

braunvieh

No, he won't suck on anything. He will only swallow.  If I put the bottle in his mouth and use my finger to squeeze out the milk slowly, he will swallow and drink it, but it takes a very long time and after a while he stops swallowing and starts wasting.  Another strange thing....this calf cannot get up, he is very weak and haunched on his back legs. He can stand if you help him up, and will walk around a while but in general looks droopy. He took too long being born and I wonder if this is all side effects of that.

olsun

This is just a dumb observation, and it does not always work, but if you have noticed, the cow often licks the calfs rear as it sucks. I like to put the nipple in the calf mouth and then stroke the calf around and under it's tail. This seems to trigger a nursing response. If it is working, the calf will hunch up and crap on the back of your hand. I have never tried the actual licking (lol)but the stroking sometimes works if you don't wait too long. Might be worth a try.

knabe

olsun said:
This is just a dumb observation, and it does not always work, but if you have noticed, the cow often licks the calfs rear as it sucks. I like to put the nipple in the calf mouth and then stroke the calf around and under it's tail. This seems to trigger a nursing response. If it is working, the calf will hunch up and crap on the back of your hand. I have never tried the actual licking (lol)but the stroking sometimes works if you don't wait too long. Might be worth a try.

it can't be dumb or all mammals wouldn't do it.  the also like their sides/belly.

PLKR

braunvieh said:
No, he won't suck on anything. He will only swallow.  If I put the bottle in his mouth and use my finger to squeeze out the milk slowly, he will swallow and drink it, but it takes a very long time and after a while he stops swallowing and starts wasting.   Another strange thing....this calf cannot get up, he is very weak and haunched on his back legs. He can stand if you help him up, and will walk around a while but in general looks droopy. He took too long being born and I wonder if this is all side effects of that.
Yes, I'm guessing it is a "side effect" of his difficult birth. I know it's easier said than done, but be patient. Sometimes it takes a few--or maybe several--days for the "light to come on" with calves like this. Until then, you will have to make sure it stays nourished by tubing--yep,I know--no fun! If the calf progresses to the point where it has some strength you can then start letting it get a bit hungry to encourage sucking. I can only remember 1 calf in the last 35 years at our place that didn't eventually learn to suck--but I remember quite a few that took alot of patience....There are very few things in the cow business more frustrating than a calf that won't suck--good luck!

randiliana

Here is what I do with a non-sucker. It requires a bit of work, but it is less stressful, and has worked for me every time.

I have never yet been able to force a calf to suck. If the instinct is not there, it seems it is not there.

So, rather than fighting with them, I simply tube them. Make sure they get at least one, and preferably 2 good feeds of colostrum in the first 12 hours. Then I move them to either cow's milk (if I can easily milk her) or milk replacer. Mama cow's milk is preferable, as it reduces the chance of you having problems with her accepting the calf later. But if she is really hard to handle, I go the easy route and use milk replacer.

Tube the calf for 2-3 days, depending on how strong it is. I usually feed 3 times a day, morning, early afternoon and mid evening. On the last day (day 2 or 3) I don't feed them in the evening. Leave the calf in a small pen with mama, and in the morning he should have gotten hungry enough for that instinct to kick in.

So far, this has worked for me every time I have had to do it. It is a pain in the butt, but it works. You don't get stressed, and you don't stress either the calf or the cow.

The reason I feed for 2-3 days, is to give the calf a chance to build up a bit of reserve, so that when you leave it overnight, it has enough strength to last the night, and to get up and look for dinner. If you were to do this on day one you may end up with an even weaker calf that you would have to mess with for even longer.

Some calves are oxygen deprived from a long birth and it takes some time for them to figure things out.

Some can be Selenium deficient, which causes muscles to not work correctly so a shot of selenium can be beneficial, and won't likely hurt anything.

braunvieh

Thanks everyone for the replies. The calf does not have a mama so I cannot put him with anyone else. But, I will try some of the suggestions. I do get the calf up when I tube him and he pretty much poops and pees like clockwork each time I feed him so I don't know if the rubbing will do anything more but I will try it. Just today he started to moo at me, first time he has done this and is a week old. I hope it is the sign of progress to come!!

kanshow

I had a calf this spring that I tube fed for around 7 - 8 weeks.  We tried everything in the book - supplemented & so on.  She never would suck but started nibbling on grain early on.  She would not drink milk from a bucket either.  She was eating good so we weaned her and then one day, she just up and bloated.  We were right there and tried to save her but could not.  So I now have to wonder if she was either never right inside or if we damaged her by so much tube feeding. 

braunvieh

Well I have good news to report....out of the blue this evening the calf sucked and drank like it knew all along what to do....took a full week of trying but finally!!! The only thing I did different was give it some nutridrench this morning and a shot of penicillin. A good end to a long week!